Dr. Dan B.
Dr. Dan B., Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Eye surgeon experienced in cataracts, glaucoma, retina & neuro-ophthalmology
36528250

My 30 year old daughter has diabetic retinopathy. One week

Customer Question

Hi my 30 year old daughter has diabetic retinopathy. One week ago she had vitrectomy surgery. She has had lots of complications including hemorrhage, retinal hole and now her pupil is fixed and dialated. The doc said he didn't know why her pupil was fixed and dialated. Any ideas?
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. David replied 7 months ago.

Hello, this is Dr. David. I am reviewing your question now and will be with you momentarily.

http://www.euretina.org/london2014/programme/free-papers-details.asp?id=3238&day=0

is a medial article about dilated pupils after eye surgery.

Intense laser burns may cause damage to the short ciliary nerves traversing the choroid and is a possible cause of dilated pupils after laser eye vitrectomy surgery.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2728613/

is another article

"The probable location of disturbance is the postganglionic parasympathetic fibers in the short ciliary nerves along their course to the pupil in the suprachoroidal space. A likely explanation for this phenomenon is injury to short ciliary nerves by endolaser treatment."

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Is this condition likely to reverse?

most likely not.

once damaged to the ciliary nerves, the damage to the pupil reflex can be permanent.