Michael Salama
Michael Salama,
Experience:  Medical director at San Miguel Medical Clinic
93434137

My husband is experiencing allergic reaction type symptoms.

Customer Question

My husband is experiencing allergic reaction type symptoms. He did have a "large whiff" of hot vinegar fumes while cleaning our Keurig. Symptoms began with a irritating cough and currently have progressed to itching above the eyes, dark circles around eye swelling. He says the back of his tongue feels swollen and he sounds nasally congested. He has taken 50 mgm of Benadryl. Could the Vinegar cause these symptoms
JA: How long have you been dealing with this? Is your eye itchy?
Customer: We cleaned the Keurig around 1130 am. The coughing started around 1245. The itching above his eyes started around 1:45. He took the Benadryl around 2:45. He know says his face feels swollen and numb and now is complaining that he has a sore throat which is causing some swallowing problems.
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: No. He had a corned beef sandwich after he had the inhalation. The only other allergies he has had was Pistachio.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Eye
Expert:  Michael Salama replied 1 month ago.

Hello this is Dr. Salama MD,

Thank you for describing his symptoms so well.

Yes, it does in fact sound like he has developed an allergic reaction.

I would not take any more of the benadryl at this time since 50mg is the max dose at any one time.

I am especially concerned about the tongue swelling and sore throat which he complains of as it could further develop into issues with his breathing and become more serious.

He needs to go to the ER asap to have stronger medication administered to relieve his remaining symptoms and secure his airway appropriately.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

If not, please don't forget to leave a positive rating (bonus appreciated) as that's the only way I get credit for answering your question.

Thank you!

If not, please don't forget to leave a rating, thanks!