Dr. Dan B.
Dr. Dan B., Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Eye surgeon experienced in cataracts, glaucoma, retina & neuro-ophthalmology

On Oct. 8 I had a second broken blood vessel in my right eye

Customer Question

On Oct. 8 I had a second broken blood vessel in my right eye in two months. I was out of town and saw an optometrist who diagnosed me with MGD. He put me on neo-poly dex eye drop. Within 4 days I had a reaction to the eye drop after starting the lid scrubs he suggested I do. On Oct. 14 I saw my regular optometrist who said I didn't have MGD but dry eye. She then put me on prednisolone ac 1% and my eyes became blood red with a thick discharge. Yesterday she put me on gatifloxacin .5% and in 24 hours my eyes are the same.
Submitted: 7 days ago.
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. David replied 7 days ago.

Hello, this is Dr. David. I am reviewing your question now and will be with you momentarily.

Expert:  Dr. David replied 7 days ago.

it doesn't sound like any of these eye treatments are helping.

broken eye blood vessels can be very common as we get older.

do you have high blood pressure or high cholesterol or diabetes or drink alcohol or smoke or are over weight?

these can all increase risks broken blood vessels in your body.

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
The broken blood vessel is probably stress related. I am a healthy 51 yo and take no prescription drugs. I was out of town visiting my daughter and son in law (he works at an optical shop with an optometrist). He made me an appt. to see the Dr. since this was my second blood vessel rupture in two months. I believe the Dr. misdiagnosed me with MGD when my own Dr. says I have dry eyes. My Dr. never prescribes neomyocin since many of her patients have had a negative reaction to this antibiotic. What's strange is that my eyes got worse when given the steroid. Now I'm on the second antibiotic gatifloxacin .5% and my eyes are completely red with thick discharge. I started taking the new antibiotic drop yesterday morning at 10:15 and had 6 doses yesterday. I've had one dose this morning. My doctor suggests as a last resort to go to an opthamologist and have a culture done. This will probably cost hundreds of dollars that my insurance won't cover ($10,000 deductible). I've already spent over $300 in doctor visits and prescriptions when my eyes were completely fine to begin with.
Expert:  Dr. David replied 7 days ago.

I think all of these eye drops are too much for your eyes which were fine before with no infection and you just had a couple of broken blood vessels.

stress and lack of sleep can cause a few broken blood vessels in your eye.

it doesn't sound like you need all of these antibiotic eye drops in your eye and this is all just overkill .