Moe Zafarani
Moe Zafarani, Doctor
Experience:  Cardiology
54460990

My 61 yo husband has been working too much. Came home today

Customer Question

My 61 yo husband has been working too much. Came home today and suddenly 'timed out'. His eyes were open but would not respond to me. Lasted about 3 minutes. Pulse was regular at 73. Respirations were regular. He was pale and clammy. Now he is in bed, alternating chilled and hot. Says he feels strange. He's scared but won't call 911.Could this be exhaustion? No history of heart problems. Excellent cholesterol level.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Eye
Expert:  Moe Zafarani replied 1 month ago.

I'll be glad to help.

It can definitely be exhaustion, but exhaustion is not fatal in and by it self.

The history that you provided can be a sign of cerebral hypoperfusion which can be seen with underlying ischemia (lack of blood flow to the heart) or simply a low blood pressure causing decreased perfusion to the brain - this can also be a result of an abnormal heart rhythm (regular pulse can rule against this , but an arrhythmia can have a sudden onset and a sudden termination and can be difficult to catch)

I agree with your assessment for calling 911 - at the very least he needs monitoring and fluids to prevent dehydration and worsening of the symptoms.

Please let me know if you have any further questions.

I wish him a speedy recovery,

Warm regards,

If you're satisfied, please rate the experience and accept the answer so that I can be credited with helping you today.
I will still be available to chat and clarify things even after you have accepted the answer.
Kindest Regards, *****