Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
48069651

After cataract surgery, 3 days later while driving on a

Customer Question

after cataract surgery, 3 days later while driving on a sunny day a rain storm
JA: Have you seen a doctor about this yet? What medications are you taking?
Customer: the rain was pounding on windshield. My pupils felt had shooting pain so bad I could not see and crashed into a tree.
JA: How long have you had the pain? What seems to make the pain better or worse?
Customer: The pain and loss of vision lasted during the 5 min storm. Once rain stopped and sun came out, the pain and vision returned.
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: No. Has there been reports of other persons experienced what I went through
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 1 month ago.

Hi. I'm Dr. Rick and I have two decades of ophthalmology and retina surgery experience. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 1 month ago.

So. How long ago was your cataract surgery?

Have you had this eye pain before or since?

Do you have any other medical problems or take any medications?

This is not an answer, but an Information Request. I need this information to answer your question. Please reply, so I can answer your question. I look forward to helping you.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
4 months ago. My eye still feels pain, not the pupils. Depression nefrosersone. Insomnia Ambein
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
stay on computer
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 1 month ago.

If there is no evidence of inflammation or other issues with your eye on slit lamp exam -- and I would hope that your surgeon has already checked your eye over very closely -- then there might be an issue with your intraocular lens.

The lens might be a poor fit, it could be in a part of your eye called the cilliary sulcus and pressing on a tender area inside your eyeball etc....

I have seen this on a number of occasions during the last 2+ decades of practice....

If this is the problem then treatment consists of removing and replacing or re-positioning your intraocular lens

So. What should you do?

I would recommend that you get a second opinion from an different ophthalmologist and see what she has to say about your continued ocular pain.

Does this make sense to you?

It's safe for you to press the positive feedback button now if you so desire. And, never fear, even after you press that button I'll still be right here to continue helping you, but, as I do work for tips, I want to make sure you are happy before rating me.

Dr. Rick MD FACS

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
having shooting pain in pupils, so bad you lose your vision, because of pounding rain does happen, which caused me not able to see. The sky was dark which caused me not see the tree I crashed in to. I couldn't find any relation to the pounding rain anywhere. It does happen to other cataract patients
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 1 month ago.

It is not outside the realm of possibilities. However, if your goal is to legally blame your car accident on shooting eye pains and loss of vision secondary to your cataract surgery, you are fighting a very difficult, uphill battle.

Make sense to you?

I am happy to be able to help you today. If you would be so kind, please help me get credit for my efforts in answering your questions and press the excellent feedback button for this encounter. And, don’t forget, I work for tips. I would also be happy to continue to answer any more questions you have until we have resolved your concern.

Dr. Rick MD FACS

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Why would it be a battle. I was driving fine until the storm started. If the pain, and loss of vision did cause me to hit the tree. If the pain was so intense.
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 1 month ago.

Because shooting pain and loss of vision just doesn't happen for a few seconds in the rain right before you hit a tree followed up by a normal eye exam and function.

Seems like you are grasping at straws to explain how you went off the road and hit a tree.....and it will seem that way to the Court too.

I realize that this was not the answer you were hoping to hear but it would be unfair to you and unprofessional of me were I provide you with anything less than truthful and honest information.

Surely, you prefer that I tell the truth rather than what you wish to hear. Because it reflects very poorly on me unless you press one of the top three feedback choices, keep this in mind when rating my answer and please do not punish me for being honest. I understand that this may not be easy to hear, and I empathize.

Even though my answer was not quite what you were hoping for, please understand that my priority was to provide you with the most honest information. With that in consideration, I hope that you found my answer useful. Please click the excellent feedback button so that I can receive credit for my efforts.

Dr. Rick MD FACS

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
After the storm I was able to drive safely. It was 4 to 5 min of intense pain, lasting the time of the storm. I'm not grasping for straw. I was charged for unsafe driving. I was guilty. I was looking for an answer that it does happen. I did not follow up with my doctor.
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 1 month ago.

Thank you for that additional information. I did not understand that the legal issues were already behind you....

Yes. It does happen for the reasons I discussed.

A good exam by an ophthalmologist with, possibly, specialized testing such as an anterior segment A scan should get to the root of your pain.

It is not normal to have this sort of pain and issues and the cause needs to be found to avoid permanent issues.

Make sense?

I hope this information was helpful for you. But I do work for tips so I want to make sure you are happy with me before rating me. If you have another question on this or a related issue feel free to fire away. You may also receive an email survey after our chat, if you can please give me the top rating in all areas. It has been a pleasure to assist you today.

Thanks in advance,

Dr. Rick MD FACS

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I am a good driver, never had an accident or points on my license. I was just looking for an answer to know if it happened to other people who had the same experience I had. Thank you for your responding.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
That it was something that only happpened to me
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Thank you
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 1 month ago.

It may have happened to other people too but it never got reported.

Hopefully a good exam will find an underlying cause for your pain and symptoms.

Living in the middle of over 1.2 million acres of National Forest I am all too familiar with car verses tree encounters -- I'm glad you were not seriously injured.

As they say around here -- the Tree always wins :(

Take care.