Moe Zafarani
Moe Zafarani,
Experience:  Cardiology at Department of Veteran's Affairs

My 5 yr old son has began to roll his eyes up into his head.

Customer Question

my 5 yr old son has began to roll his eyes up into his head. I noticed it a few months ago when he was watching TV. it has steadily got worse and not he does it more frequently when watching TV, but also during the day. He is doing it at Kindergarten so much that the teacher questioned me about it.
I have his eyes checked by 2 separate opticians and both state his eyes and vision are fine.
It look disturbing, but he does not complain about it. He tends to do it more when he is tired, like after running about for a while, or at the end of the day. However, if he is watching TV he can do it 4-5 times in a minute, but if he is reading a book for 5 mons, then he doesn't do it at all. I cannot confirm if this is a conscious or unconscious thing.
1 -why is the cause?
2 - should we be concerned about this?
thanks and best regards
Submitted: 8 days ago.
Category: Eye
Expert:  Moe Zafarani replied 8 days ago.

Thank you for the detailed history.

This is indeed very concerning, the eye exams are always normal in these conditions.

Your son is most likely suffering from seizures, but these are not the typical tonic-clonic seizures that everyone is used to and able to recognize.

I would suggest a neurological evaluation.

Another cause of such a reaction is sudden drop of blood pressure, but based on your information, this is much much less likely.

Please request an evaluation with a neurologist.

Any other concerns that I can help you with?

If you're satisfied, please rate the experience and accept the answer so that I can be credited with helping you today.

I will still be available to chat and clarify things even after you have accepted the answer.

Kindest Regards, *****

Please let me know if I can be of any further help.

Dr. Z

Expert:  Moe Zafarani replied 6 days ago.

Were you able to get a referral to a neurologist?