Dr. Dan B.
Dr. Dan B., Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Eye surgeon experienced in cataracts, glaucoma, retina & neuro-ophthalmology
36528250

I am new to trying to wear contact lenses for presbyopia.

Customer Question

Hello, I am new to trying to wear contact lenses for presbyopia.
First problem is that I'm having a difficult time getting them in.
The first samples they gave me were Bausch & Lomb ultra +0.75. They were good for up close, but I didn't feel safe driving. He adjusted the strength so now driving is fine, but close vision is poor. I am a nurse and I cant read small print. Is this the best I can expect? Or are there other brands which might be different. They are supposed to be good for a month, but because it takes so many tries to get them in, I've had problems with them tearing no matter how gentle I've tried to be with them.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 month ago.

Hello, this is Dr. David. I am reviewing your question now and will be with you momentarily.

Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 month ago.

yes, you can ask your eye doctor about other brands of contact lenses.

some are multifocal contact lenses with additional variations in power to correct near, intermediate, and far vision

you can also wear your current lenses and wear a small pair of magnifying eye glasses or reading eye glasses for close vision.

with more time, you should get more use to your contact lenses.

often it can take at least a month for your eyes to get use to new contact lenses.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I am trying the concentric type. Any hints on making it easier to get them in?
Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 month ago.

Wash, rinse and dry your hands. Pour the old solution with the lens into your hand. Then place the lens on your finger.

Use both hands to hold open your eye. Look up and place the lens on the white of your eye.

Look down and blink to center the lens.

Always start with the same eye when you put in and take out your lenses, so you don’t get them mixed up.

you will get better with them over time.