Dr Stan
Dr Stan, Doctor
Experience:  Physician at Stanley L Simpson, DO

Dr. It started with a little whitehead on the bottom right

Customer Question

Hi, Dr. It started with a little whitehead on the bottom right eyelid, which went away in a day. But what followed was red, irritated eyes, yellow gunk that made my eyes hard to open in the morning, itchiness, and a gritty feeling inside. I used Tobrex for a week, 4x a day, ny symptoms improved slightly- one day my eyes seemed, better, the next, I'd have episodes of "flare-ups." Each time I used Tobrex, my eyes burned. I went to another optometrist, who gave me these antibiotics/steriod drops: neomycin and polymixin B sulfates and dexamathasone...I used that for over a week. I started using Terramycin ointment alongside the drops. Still no improvement. I went to yet another optometrist, who told me to stop using the drops as it may affect my eye pressure, and to simply use hot compresses 3x a day. It's been three days, and I'm tired of this. I've had eye infections before but it never lasted this long. Do I have bacterial conjunctivitis or chronic blepharitis, though why now? Help!
Submitted: 17 days ago.
Category: Eye
Customer: replied 17 days ago.
It feels worse than it looks...also it tends to get more irritated, those "flare-ups" at night. Could it be dry eye? But the stuff that comes out of my eyes aren't overproducing tears. It's mucus...The photo attached is of my right eye. There is a slight discoloration, a little dark spot on the white part of my eye, but that's just a beauty mark, FYI.
Expert:  Dr Stan replied 17 days ago.

Hello this is Dr. Stan and I will assist you with your question today. I am board certified and I have 40 years of patient experience. I will be happy to help you today. I'm sorry you are having eye problems. Your picture is slightly blurred, but I can see your area of concern. It does not appear to be a chronic blepharitis, it is most likely a Hodelodian (small cyst) that needs to be evaluated and possibly biopsied. May I suggest a visit to your Ophthalmologist or go to an Urgent Care Facility to have it checked.

I am available to answer any additional questions you may have. Thank you for allowing me to provide assistance. I hope your medical problem(s) are resolved soon and you feel better. If you find the information I provided helpful, please rate me with 5-Stars. Thank you

Customer: replied 17 days ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Customer: replied 17 days ago.
the thing is I don't have a cyst present..
Customer: replied 17 days ago.
there is no cyst present...any other possibilities given my symptoms?
Expert:  Dr Stan replied 16 days ago.

The "cyst" may have ruptured leaving the reddened area which you mentioned.

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
the thing is, i have these symptoms on both eyes. that little pimple was on one eye. do you think the infection spread from one eye to the other?
Customer: replied 16 days ago.
Expert:  Dr Stan replied 16 days ago.

It is possible that you now have a chronic blepharitis, but from the blurred picture it is hard to tell. A "stye" is similar to Hordelodian but in a different layer of the eyelid.

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
Isn't it rare for someone my age to have this already? Again my symptoms are: yellow mucus, crust in the morning, irritation, red eyes, worsens at night, gritty feeling inside.
Expert:  Dr Stan replied 16 days ago.

It is possible, that's why I suggested being re-evaluated. Dry eye syndrome usually doesn't produce yellow mucous or crusting in the morning.

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
A 4th doctor, how about that! Well thank you I guess I will...
Expert:  Dr Stan replied 16 days ago.

You are most welcome and get better soon.

Expert:  Dr Stan replied 15 days ago.

Have you scheduled an appointment with Ophthalmology?