Mohammad Ashori
Mohammad Ashori,
Experience:  Urgent Care Physician at Kaiser Permanente

My episcleritis has finally cleared up and my dr has

Customer Question

My episcleritis has finally cleared up and my dr has instructed sunday be my last day on the steroid once. Im afraid monday it will flare without the steroid or when im done to once is it possible?
Submitted: 19 days ago.
Category: Eye
Expert:  Mohammad Ashori replied 19 days ago.

It's possible that you might get a small rebound effect but it should last only one day and it should go right back to normal.

You can start taking advil or motrin starting today and continue it for another 2-3 days after steroids are completed which will prevent the rebound effect.

Take 600mg 4x per day for 3 days if you have no problems with that medicine and no kidney issues.

Expert:  Mohammad Ashori replied 18 days ago.

Please let me know if you have any other questions.

Otherwise you can close this encounter by clicking on "Rating".

M. Ashori MD

Customer: replied 18 days ago.
I was told i could go back to contact as ending steroid use but my eyes dont feel right in my lenses and my eye is red again as i stopped the steroid my contact couldnt have irritated this or could they?

Your eyes are still sensitive, it's a little early to get back into contacts.

Use some artificial tears for a few days before getting back to contacts.

Also, try those anti-inflammatories which I recommended, they will help.

The redness isn't the episcleritis coming back, it's just the contacts likely being still a bit too harsh as your eye is healing.

Steroids tend to think the skin, even the episclera or conjunctiva, so it's easier for them to get dry when using contacts.

Expert:  Mohammad Ashori replied 16 days ago.

Hope my answers were helpful.
Please click on "Rating" if you don't have any other questions so that we can complete this transaction.

Dr. Ashori

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
After stopping my steroid yestirday today my doctor said i had rebound inflammation and the episcleritis was present again now im back to steroid 4x a day will i have to be on a steroid consiste tly
Expert:  Mohammad Ashori replied 15 days ago.

I see, so it would probably be good to have the steroids on hand in case it does happen again even after this time.

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Have you seen this happen? Is it possible to keep recurring

It can recur but usually only after that initial treatment, that's the rebound effect I was mentioning.

However, there are a very small percentage of people that get recurrent ES... usually due to stress.

The good news is that future outbreaks aren't as severe as your first and initial one.

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
Well it seems to have recurred dr told me now im back on tobradex. Do doctors usually keep pts with recurrent episcleritis on steroids longterm? Or will i constsntly deal with flare on and off
Expert:  Mohammad Ashori replied 14 days ago.

It is rarely recurrent however it can come back a few times in your lifetime, likely no more than 2-3x. But it's not like something that you would get every month.

No, you wouldn't be kept on it longterm, it would be something that would be treated for each outbreak.

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
we have once again started a taper now on pred forte it seem sto be everytime we get to stopping it my eye goes red again
Expert:  Mohammad Ashori replied 12 days ago.

Sometimes you just have to try to experiment with longer courses until it doesn't return.

I hope you and your doctor can figure out the right regimen.