Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.

RE muscle atrophy Patient is a 74 year old male has been

Customer Question

RE muscle atrophy
Patient is a 74 year old male has been bedridden since January 2016 after an apparent stroke and fall.
He is aware and makes direct eye contact, can speak however primarily does not.
Has not received any physical therapy, that I know of, to bring back muscle tone.
At this point patient is positioning towards a fetal position.
Question is : what are odds of bringing back this subject to some quality of life i.e. sitting up in a chair and limited walking ability if he cooperates with physical therapy, etc.?
A concerned relative
Submitted: 19 days ago.
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 19 days ago.

Hello from JustAnswer.

Without being able to perform a neurologic exam or reviewing any of the imaging studies, it is impossible to estimate the odds of recovering the level of quality of life that you mention.

However, it can be definitely stated that his quality of life will be better with physical therapy than without physical therapy. Even if he remains bedridden, physical therapy can help to improve some level of motion and muscle tone and decrease the risk of many complications, such as contractures. In someone with a more severe neurologic damage, simple range of motion exercises that can be done by the family may be the most important physical therapy. But if he has not had an examination by a Neurologist or Physical Therapist, there definitely would be some potential for an improved quality of life, even if it is unrealistic for him to achieve the ability to walk limited distances.

Is there any further information that would be helpful?

Please let me know if I can provide any further assistance.