Dr. A.S. Desai
Dr. A.S. Desai, Ophthalmologist
Experience:  MS Ophthalmology with 13 years of surgical expereince
25407765

If one eye is 20/20 and the other is 20/60, and vision is

Customer Question

If one eye is 20/20 and the other is 20/60, and vision is fine, why would I need glasses?
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. A.S. Desai replied 2 months ago.

Thank you for the question. I am Dr.A.S.Desai, certified ophthalmologist and I look forward to assisting you.

Since the vision is 20/60 in one eye, the images are kind of blurred in this eye. However the final vision with both eyes open is fine because one of the eyes has 20/20 vision. Over a period of time you will use the eye with good vision for majority of the viewing and the brain will begin to suppress the image received from the other eye as it is a bit blurred. This produces an unnecessary strain on the eye with 20/20 vision.

Moreover the near correction for both eyes would not be the same in both eyes. You would need customized correction and ready made readers would not help.

Glasses are recommended to help both eyes see equally clear and to reduce strain on the eyes.

I hope that clarifies your query. Do let me know if there is anything else that I can answer for you.

Do remember to rate this response positively if it was up to your satisfaction.

Thank you and best wishes

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Is the adjustment, the confined view of the frames, the need to hold your head at certain angles to see through the right spot (I got bifocals because I need reading glasses), blurred peripherals, etc. all worth it? No correction results in "unnecessary strain," but are there worse effects? It seems my vision will actually be more limited with the glasses. I don't understand what is so important.

Thank you for the reply and additional information.

I can understand your difficulties with the limitations of a bifocal . What I can suggest here is that you can opt for customized near reading glasses ( monofocal glasses for near only) so that there is no need for any head posture adjustment. The strain on the eye is not immediate but would be noticed gradually over months. However there are no more worse effects of not wearing any glasses at your age.

Thank you