Daniel Sheibley, MD
Daniel Sheibley, MD, Doctor
Experience:  MD Grad Jefferson Medical College 2009. Internal Med intern 2010 & Radiology residency 2011. Husband & father of two.

I woke up this morning with a stinging pain in the back left

Customer Question

I woke up this morning with a stinging pain in the back left corner of my left eye. It comes in waves, it will be fine for 15 minutes then a searing pain will come on and my eye will water like crazy. It's gotten worse at the day has gone on. I bought some Clear Eyes and when I put the drops in it stung very bad but seemed to help a little bit. But the pain is still coming in waves. Any idea what this could be??
JA: Did you have a recent injury to the eye? How is your vision?
Customer: Not that I know of, no. And my vision is fine. Except for when the wave comes on and my eye waters like crazy.
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: I wear glasses, never contacts. I have a stigmatism. Nothing other than that. No blunt trauma ever or anything like that.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Eye
Expert:  Daniel Sheibley, MD replied 1 month ago.

You must have a foreign body in your eye that got introduced during your sleep. Try holding your eye open and pouring a cup of water in it (you'll need help for that as you'll hold your eyelids up and out a bit to make space for the foreign body to be washed away. If this does not work and the pain still continues then I'd recommend seeing an optometrist or your primary care physician today. Eyedrops alone may not accomplish success. You need a larger volume of water to rinse it out.

Did I answer your question to satisfaction?

A positive rating is the only way I am credited for my expertise. Please don't rate bad or poor service. If your aren't 100% satisfied, click reply instead.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I've tried that several times already.

Then at this point you should see an optometrist. They will invert your eyelids and be able to successfully take this out.