Dr. Bob
Dr. Bob, Medical Doctor
Experience:  20 Years in Internal Medicine, Neurology and Sports Medicine
61817858

The caruncle le of my right eye seems swollen it's been like

Customer Question

the caruncle le of my right eye seems swollen it's been like this for a few months. Went to the opthamologhe told me that that was normal. However, it's considerably larger than my left eye. I was wondering if I should try to get a second opinion
JA: How long have you been dealing with this? Is your eye itchy?
Customer: No it's not itchy. But it is a little puffy.
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: This has been like this for a few months. The opthamologist gave me some eye drops olopatadine hydrochloride. But it did nothing for the swelling.
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Bob replied 2 months ago.

Hi there. Is the swelling constant or does it come and go? Is there any redness relative to the other side?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
It is constant
Expert:  Dr. Bob replied 2 months ago.

Can you upload a picture of the eye?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I cant upload a picture
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
No redness relative to the other eye
Expert:  Dr. Bob replied 2 months ago.

Carbuncle implies an infection under the skin. If you had this I expect that your eye doctor would have treated it. You might have a chalazion. This is also called a meibomian gland lipogranuloma, and is a cyst in the eyelid that is caused by inflammation of a blocked meibomian gland. They can be chronic and can enlarge. If creams and compresses dont work, as a last resort, surgery is performed. The eyelid is injected with a local anesthetic, a clamp is put on the eyelid, then the eyelid is turned over and an incision is made on the inside of the eyelid, so that the chalaion can be drained and scraped out with a curette. If the previous ophthalmologist was not willing to do this, you should get a second opinion. You might seek the advice of a plastic surgeon this time.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Lacrimal Caruncle is swollen. (not carbuncle). it's not in the eyelid. It's in the corner of the eye
Expert:  Dr. Bob replied 2 months ago.

That's why I asked for a picture. :-)

Expert:  Dr. Bob replied 2 months ago.

At any rate, there is often asymmetry in the caruncles. When one is enlarged it usually indicates that it is more susceptible to an allergen in the environment. Does it shrink at all with oral or ocular antihistamines?

Expert:  Dr. Bob replied 2 months ago.

If there is no change with antihistamines, I would seek a second opinion, preferably from an ophthalmologist at an academic medical center (i.e one with a medical shool). They are typically at the cutting edge of their field and should recognize anything out of the ordinary.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
It doesn't shrink after taking antihistamines. It's been swollen for a few months.
Expert:  Dr. Bob replied 2 months ago.

The most common non-allergic causes would be nevi, papillomas, and sebaceous gland hyperplasia. Excision of such lesions is indicated only if there is an atypical presentation, a carcinoma is suspected, if mass effect causes discomfort, or if cosmesis is an issue.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Okay. Thanks Dr.
Expert:  Dr. Bob replied 2 months ago.

I would definitely have it looked at by another professional.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Thanks again
Expert:  Dr. Bob replied 2 months ago.

You're welcome.