Dr. David, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Experienced Physician trained in New York City. I'm ready to help.

I have had red eyes due to allergies for a few years and i

Customer Question

Hi, I have had red eyes due to allergies for a few years and i take antihistamine eye drops every 6 hours, but I often have eye infections and they occur very easily. I take tobrex to treat it for about a week at a time but the problem comes back. I was wondering what my treatment options are
JA: How long have you had the symptoms? What seems to make the symptoms worse or better?
Customer: It has been 3 years. Symptoms get worse when drinking alcohol or when under little sleep.
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: i take allegra every day to treat indoor and outdoor allergies as well. I'm allergic to penicillin and amoxicillin.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 month ago.

Hello, this is Dr. David. I am reviewing your question now and will be with you momentarily.

Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 month ago.

I am sorry you are having red eyes from allergies.

you will also benefit from taking a systemic second generation antihistamine like allegra 180mg (fexofenadine) or claritin or zyrtec

you can also use 25-50mg of benadryl at night time.

a steroid nasal spray like Nasocort or Rhinocort (both over the counter) can also help decrease sinus inflammation from allergies and can help the eyes as well

are you taking these at this point?

Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 month ago.

yes, avoiding alcohol and drinking more water and getting more sleep will help your red eyes as well.

Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 month ago.

getting more sleep and eating healthier and drinking more water can help improve your immune system and decrease eye infections.

also avoiding touching your eyes with dirty hands and making sure you wash your hands before you touch your face and eyes can cut down on infections.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
The redness is mostly isolated to the bottom and inside part of my eye closest to the bridge of my nose. There also is always some grey goo that comes out of my eyelids after a couple hours as well.
Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 month ago.

using a warm compress or warm towel on your eyes once or twice a day can help

you may benefit from using a regular over the counter dry eye drop as well

avoiding alcohol and drinking more water and getting proper sleep is the best for your eye health.

regular exercise can help you sleep better at night time as well and is good for your eyes.

resting your eyes away from computers regularly can help

let me know if you have other questions.

if done for now, please leave positive rating of 3-5 stars so I can get credit for helping you today

we only get credit for helping clients after positive feedback

you can always reach me directly with "a question for Dr. David" in the medicine or oncology categories if you have other questions

here is my website if you need to reach me:

Thanks for using

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
What is the best way to treat these infections with Tobrex? How often and how many doses should I take? Also, since the infections come back, is there a stronger form of medication I should take instead, such as steroid drops?
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Will allergy shots fully treat these problems permanently as well?
Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 month ago.

you have to have a doctor look at your eyes

not all red eyes is due to a bacterial infection in the eye

you may not have a bacterial infection which needs Tobradex.

would you like to upload a clear jpg photo of your eye?