Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

I have what I am pretty sure is a broken blood vessel in my

Customer Question

I have what I am pretty sure is a broken blood vessel in my eye. It is not painful. I am going cycling and need to wear my soft contact lenses. Is this OK?
JA: When was the last time you had your eyes checked? In general, how has your vision been lately?
Customer: I had my eyes checked about six months ago which was a very thorough check (pressure etc etc). There was nothing wrong apart from my eyes are a bit dry. I am short sighted. I have not had any injury to my eye and don't know what caused the broken blood vessel but it definitely wasn't anything major.
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: I have arthritis in my hip and am taking painkillers (co-dydramol) for this. However as far as I know these do not contain aspirin (paracetamol and codeine I think). Other than that I am very healthy. I do not smoke and do not drink very much.
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 2 months ago.

Hello from JustAnswer.

The common bleeding into the eye, which occurs over the whites of the eyes, is called a subconjunctival hemorrhage. It is usually fine to wear soft contact lenses when there has been a subconjunctival hemorrhage. There are some people in whom the amount of blood may make the contact lenses uncomfortable, and if there is any discomfort, it would be appropriate to avoid the use of soft contact lenses, but this is only a small minority of people that have a subconjunctival hemorrhage.

I would note that subconjunctival hemorrhage usually do not occur because of anything within the eye. They will most often happen because of a sudden pressure wave transmitted through the blood vessels, such as during a cough or sneeze. And it usually does not create any sensation when it happens, so it commonly will not be noticed until much later when you look at yourself in a mirror or someone brings it to your attention.

Although unsightly, these are typically not a problem and will resolve spontaneously. It is only very large hemorrhages that may cause symptoms and may need medical care.

If i can provide any additional information, please let me know.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Thank you that's really helpful. I don't have any more questions.

You are very welcome.

Thank you for using JustAnswer.

Please remember to provide a positive rating so that I am credited for assisting you.