Dr. A.S. Desai
Dr. A.S. Desai, Ophthalmologist
Experience:  MS Ophthalmology with 13 years of surgical expereince
25407765

Went to the eye doctor today and she said I had some

Customer Question

Went to the eye doctor today and she said I had some narrowing of one of my blood vessels compared to last year. She did a screening retinal photo. I am 57 and male. Is this something to be concerned with?
JA: When was the last time you had your eyes checked? In general, how has your vision been lately?
Customer: 10 months ago prior to today. My vision has been fine. A little more difficulty reading small print, but I am. 57. I had last done in 2006 monovision with my left eye corrected less.
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: I have neuralgia of the face, but she is aware of that. I also battle anxiety, but she is aware of that also. I take low doses of medication for both.
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. A.S. Desai replied 7 months ago.
I am Dr.A.S.Desai, certified ophthalmologist and I look forward to assisting you.
Please do not worry about narrowing of the blood vessel. It is an observation which is yet to be confirmed by an ophthalmologist.
Single vessel narrowing is very unlikely unless there is an obstruction to blood flow due to an embolus or thrombus. Such a situation would give rise to sudden loss of vision in entire or part of visual field depending on which branch is affected. Such an event is not likely in your case due to lack of symptoms of transient loss of vision.
Generalised narrowing of all blood vessels such as arteries occurs in those with hypertension. The best option to confirm the above is to get referre d to an ophthalmologist who can perform a detailed eye exam and ask for additional investigations such as fluorescein angiography.
Do let me know if you have additional questions.
If you are satisfied with the above response do remember to rate it positively. Experts get credited with positive response only.
Thank you and best wishes.