khagihara, Doctor (non-eye specialty)
Experience:  Trained in multiple medical fields for many years.

2-3 times a month I jolt awake to a sensation akin to a

Customer Question

2-3 times a month I jolt awake to a sensation akin to a shard of glass in one of my eyes. The affected eye becomes almost torrential in the tearing up and the sinus cavities around it build in pressure and that half of my nose runs uncontrollably. Exedrops and using eye wash with an eyecup can provide a few moments of pain reduction as can manually holding the upper lid away from my eye but the pain reoccurred within a few blinks. It hurts for my eye to be open and hurts for it to close. This persists for several hours to several days then vanishes. Once the pain is gone I have 2-3 days of my eye feeling dry while constantly being watery and my vision is blurred until the watering stops. My doctor says it's nothing. Suggested perhaps it might be dust falling from the cabinet over my bed. I have erected a tent on my mattress but the problem persists and happens even when I am not in my home.
I recently had an insurance physical with an independent reviewer. When they had me look at an eye chart with my glasses on (nearsighted) my left eye, which is most frequently affected, was unable to read below the 3rd line. These glasses are only a year old and on acquisition gave me 20/20 inboth eyes. My right eye did better but also did not perform as well as expected. My doctor remains unconcerned.
JA: How long have you been dealing with this? Have you been having any headaches?
Customer: It's been going on for close to 10 months now and yes I do develop headaches after about 15-30 min of the eye pain.
I have migraines as an aside but this doesn't feel anything like either my cluster migraine or my more general one that stem from a decade and a half old brain trauma.
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: I have lupus.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Eye
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Additional info... I have been light sensitive my entire life and have mild occular migraines that do little more than make me lose vision in part of one eye for a few hours to a day other then what seems like a roving blind spot they have no other symptoms and is painless. I didn't even know they were a migraine form until I was describing them to a new opthalmologist, most of my life my eye examiners have just called it an intermittent roving blind spot.
Cold helps take the edge off the stabbing glass pain if applied lightly to the eyelid. The shard of glass type Pain in the eye is on par with that of a cluster migraine (12 on a 10 point scale) only more localized, the sinus pressure headache that accompanies it is relatively mild at a 4-5 on the standard 10 point pain scale.
Expert:  khagihara replied 1 month ago.

If it is retinal migraines, you should take antiepileptic or tricyclic medications as prophylactic migraine therapy. You should see a neurologist to have exam.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
This stabbing pain is entirely different from the occular migraines I've had for over 25 years. This new stabbing pain and running eye does not accompany Amy actionof the blind spot associated with the occular migraines. This new thing wakes me up from a dead sleep with the sensation of a shard of glass being jammed into my eye.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Following this I wound up in the er with worsened symptoms. Severe corneal abrasion. Opthalmologist follow-up two days later resulted in diagnosis of Recurrent Corneal Erosion.
Absolutely unrelated to migraines.
Expert:  khagihara replied 1 month ago.

Did you have the cause which produced corneal abrasion?