Dr. Dan B.
Dr. Dan B., Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Eye surgeon experienced in cataracts, glaucoma, retina & neuro-ophthalmology

Yesterday my younger brother(age 19) revealed to me that he

Customer Question

Hi, yesterday my younger brother(age 19) revealed to me that he had "no feelings" and has a sharp pressure pain behind his eyes. He told me that he can't remember how it feels "to feel" ANY sort of emotion and that the pain developed a few months ago, he hasn't told anyone about this because he is scared that they might think he is crazy. Mental illness runs in my family, so this scares me as it can be a possibility.
He then went on to explain that this started two years ago, and that he can't sometimes form mental pictures, or that he can't cry or even feel empathy for anything or anyone. What scares me the most is that he said he watched videos of ppl getting executed and animals getting tortured and didn't feel anything towards it. He thinks he is a psychopath, and although I don't think he is, It scared me that HE thinks he may be.
My question? Does insurance cover the cost of a therapist or psychologist? And if not, how can I get him help?
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 month ago.

This is Dr. David

I am sorry about what your younger brother is going through.

I would be scared as well if he cold me the same things.

Complete anhedonia is the loss of feelings and emotions and can occur in patients who suffer from depression or other mental issues.

the pressure behind his eyes could be due to headaches, dehydration, sinus inflammation, sinus infection, allergies or other causes.

he is at an age where he should be seeing a primary care doctor and talking to them about his symptoms

he may benefit from seeing a psychiatrist and starting possible psychiatric medications.

I hope he is willing to see a doctor about his symptoms.