Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest

For ophthalmologist ---- I am yrs old. No contact lens. I

Customer Question

For ophthalmologist ----
I am 69 yrs old. No contact lens. I have been having dry eyes. I went to my eye doc and he did an exhaustive exam. He said i had dry eyes (saw "sudsing" on the scan ) and prescribed Lotemax and Restasis. I read the insert literarure on Restasis and it says" Restasis did not increase tear production in patients using anti inflammatory eye drops." Is Lotemax considered an " anti flammatory eye drops?" Do you see any issue of taking it with Restasis??
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 1 month ago.

Hi. My name is***** and I am online and available to help you today. Thank you for your patience.

Question and answer is just one of the services I offer. I can also provide you with additional services, such as live telephone or skype consultation, at a small additional cost. Let me know if you are interested.

The restasis and lotemax will work together just fine even though it is an anti inflammatory medication

You should also use warm compresses and baby shampoo lid scrubs to help with your (I'm sure you have it...) blepharitis. Please allow me to explain:

Blepharitis is a condition where glands in the eyelids are not functioning normally. They become plugged and instead of putting out their normal clear, oily secretions, they put out thick, toothpaste like gunk.

The best treatment for this condition daily lid scrubs combined with warm compresses. I like to use baby shampoo for lid scrubs. In the shower, place the shampoo on your index fingers, close your eyes, raise your eyebrows (to stretch the skin on you eyelids) and scrub back and forth along your eyelashes for 3 to 5 minutes. The hot water in the shower helps to soften the plugged oils in the glands while the mechanical scrubbing with your soapy fingers removes the oils.

Baby shampoo lid scrubs will also help to wash away allergens and stimulate tear production.

Does this make sense to you?

It's safe for you to press the positive feedback button now if you so desire. And, never fear, even after you press that button I'll still be right here to continue helping you, but, as I do work for tips, I want to make sure you are happy before rating me.

Dr. Rick MD FACS

Do you have any other medical problems or take any medications?

This is not an answer, but an Information Request. I need this information to answer your question. Please reply, so I can answer your question. I look forward to helping you.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I take Benecar for blood pressure and Prevacid for GERD . I'm concerned about taking Lotemax with Restasis
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 1 month ago.

Have a good week.

I hope you feel better soon.

I am happy to be able to help you today. If you would be so kind, please help me get credit for my efforts in answering your questions and press the excellent feedback button for this encounter. And, don’t forget, I work for tips. I would also be happy to continue to answer any more questions you have until we have resolved your concern.

Dr. Rick MD FACS