DoctorAnil, Doctor
Experience:  M.D with over 30 years of experience in practice.

While cooking the evening meal I poked my right eye with a

Customer Question

Hi, while cooking the evening meal I poked my right eye with a fork. It seemed to be in the corner of the eye, not the iris. There has been some bleeding and it is more than a blood shot eye Do I need to see a doctor
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Eye
Expert:  DoctorAnil replied 1 month ago.

Hello and thanks for trusting me to help you. I am a board certified consultant with over 30 years of experience.

Well as you describe, possibly you have suffered a bruise of the eye which is called a subconjunctival hemorrhage.

Unlike a bruise anywhere else on the body, you can see the bright-red blood on the eye because the conjunctiva (the thin skin covering the whites of the eyes) is transparent so you see the blood as it is.

Some of serious symptoms to be checked are pain, decrease vision, or double vision.

But this should not be left alone, and have to be urgently evaluated in ER.

Your doctor may check- A visual acuity test and The intraocular pressure (pressure inside the eye) .

You may be prescribed with Antibiotic eye drops or ointment to prevent an infection in cases of corneal abrasion.

While I do think it will be important for you to be examined by an ophthalmologist as soon as you can.

In the meantime you can use lubricating eye drops such as preservative free Refresh tears eye drops, 1 drop 4 times a day.

Let me know if you have any further query so we can discuss it thoroughly in every aspect.
Please use the REPLY/SEND BUTTON to reply back to me. It's request to avoid poor/bad rating.
It’s my pleasure to continue this conversation until you satisfy.
Waiting for your response.