Nadim Al-Mubarak
Nadim Al-Mubarak,
Experience:  MD at University Hospital Case Medical Center

For starters, I began working in a nursing home 6 months

Customer Question

For starters, I began working in a nursing home 6 months ago. Over 2 months ago a patient got feces on my leg, a couple of patients have also touched my face. Shortly after these occurrences my scalp began to itch. I went to my doctor and he said my scalp looked dry and to try a special shampoo. It did not work for me. The itching spread to my pubic area, then the rest of my body. There is not a rash on my body nor bites or bumps. I have been examined 4 times by doctors and nurses and none of them thinks it is scabies. FYI, during this time my daughter broke out in a rash and her doctor thought it was scabies and prescribed permethrin cream. As a precaution, my doctor prescribed permethrin cream to me, although he was not convinced that I had scabies. Now after 2 months there is a crawling sensation on my scalp, eye brows and nose. My body still itches, especially at night. My daughter is itching as well with a slight rash, however, her doctor thinks it is probably eczema and the kenalog in lubriderm seems to be working for her. He prescribed permethrin cream again because he was not completely sure. I just wonder what is causing this? I have 3 dogs and wonder if it is something from them? As I mentioned, I work in a nursing home and wonder if I picked up something from a patient? I have also considered that it might be related to stress. My next step is to see a dermatologist but am curious of your opinion. Thank you for your time.
Category: Eye
Expert:  Nadim Al-Mubarak replied 2 months ago.

Hi there

• Itching or "Pruritus" without skin rash is most commonly caused by dry skin or medications. Other potential causes include internal organ disease such as kidney or liver illness as well as environmental exposure to chemical hazards
  • Fact that both, you and your daughter, are involved, it is likely to be dry skin or an environmental exposure to yet to be identify trigger.
  • You do not have a skin rash or skin lesions, so it does not appear to be a dermatological issue though a Dermatology consult is still appropriate
  • You have not noted any trial of anti-histamine. So, I would recommend that you try Claritin or Benadryl for few days and see what the response is. Check around the house for any potential exposure to chemical etc. Make sure your skin is not dry. And, if you have not had basic blood testing and chest Xray, these should be considered to rule out other systemic issues

If this asnwers your question, please complete the rating above. It's how we get credit for the service. Best wishes

Let me know if you have any more questions