Dr. Muneeb Ali
Dr. Muneeb Ali, Intensivist
Experience:  MBBS, MD, MCCM.Currently working in Critical Care Medicine with 10 year experience in Medicine
22950887

What is the treatment for an Optic Nerve hemorrhage?

Customer Question

Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Muneeb Ali replied 3 months ago.

Do you mean optic DISC hemorrhages? or bleeding around the optic nerve in the brain?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I have Glaucoma, and at my semi-annual check-up last week, she told me I had a hemorrhage on the optic nerve, probably caused by low blood pressure or anemia. I do not have low BP and I had blood work done Saturday with no results yet. If anemia is ruled out, what would be the treatment?

Thank you for the information.

Now i think your doctor meant that you have optic disc hemorrhages which she would have noticed after looking into your eyes by using a fundoscope. Now she is right usually the optic disc hemorrhages are due to hypertension as well as other causes such as glaucoma itself, age, aspirin use, smoking etc. Once the cause is determined then it can be treated. Usually the hemorrhages themselves are not treated as they are not the problem, they are an indication of an underlying disease process, once that disease is treated the hemorrhages disappear over time. This is why in most cases, the eyes are examined regularly while investigations are done to determine the underlying cause. I think its likely that the glaucoma itself may have caused the hemorrhage and if this is the case then treating glaucoma more effectively will cause them to disappear.

Do you have any more questions?

Please leave a POSITIVE (3 – 5 stars, preferably 5) rating by clicking on the stars above, until you do i am not compensated for my time. You can continue to ask follow-up questions even after the POSITIVE rating. You can also ask questions from me directly by going on the link below,

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-muneeb-ali/

Would you to know anything else? If done for now, please remember to leave a positive rating as that is the only way we are compensated for our time spent helping you. You can continue to ask follow-up questions even after the rating.