Dr. David, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Experienced Physician trained in New York City. I'm ready to help.

A year ago I had trouble sleeping due to anxiety so my

Customer Question

A year ago I had trouble sleeping due to anxiety so my doctor prescribed me sleeping pills. I took them for two weeks then one day I just woke up extremely fatigued and groggy. I had trouble keeping my eyes open and functioning throughout the day. Later that night I smoked marijuana to relax how I was feeling but my eyes started feeling extremely unbearable. My eyes weren't in pain but they felt uneasy, in addition my head was tense and I was feeling dizzy/lightheaded. I felt like I was going to faint or have some sort of attack. I've had panic attacks before and it wasn't like anything like it. The next few days I had a throbbing headache especially on the right side of my head, I was also feeling dizzy and lightheaded and the discomfort in my eyes would not go away. I decided to go to the emergency room, they gave me an EKG, blood test, and blood sugar test but didn't find anything out of the ordinary. They said it could be due to acid reflux and advised me to follow up with my PCP so I did. My PCP told me that I might have gastritis or something stuck in my esophagus and to see a GI doctor so I did. The GI doctor did an endoscopy and found H. Pylori bacteria. I did the treatment for two weeks (amoxicillin, clarithromycin, and flagyl combination). After I finished the treatment I continued to feel the same. My PCP told me what I am feeling might just be from anxiety. He prescribed me Xanax and Fioricet for the headaches. On top of what he prescribed me I changed my diet and exercised a lot more. Weeks later I had a beer at work and again the uneasiness in my eyes started to get intense and my head got really tense, especially in the back of my head. I didn't even drink half of the beer and I immediately felt like I did when I smoked marijuana that night all this began. I decided to see an ophthalmologist hoping he might be able to figure out if what was wrong but he also didn't find anything unusual. He did say my eyes were red and inflamed but could be due to allergies. He prescribed me different eye drops but none of them did much to relieve the uneasiness in my eyes. At this point my insurance changed my PCP and the new doctor gave me another blood test and everything came back normal (including my liver). They finally said to give me a cat scan to see if I didn't have a mass growing in my head but I just got the results and everything was normal. The only thing they found was a "small retention cyst in the superior right maxillary sinus". Till this day the uneasiness/discomfort in my eyes has not gone away, not even for one second. I feel it when I wake up and I can feel it a lot more before I go to sleep. One of the reasons why it's been hard for anyone to figure out what's wrong with me is because it's hard to explain how my eyes feel. It may be my eyes primarily or it may be a symptom of another condition but I just don't know. I will list some of the symptoms I have had since last year hoping it will help whoever is reading this to get an idea of what my problem may be.
- Discomfort/uneasiness in eyes. My eyes feel inflamed. My vision is impeccable, nothing wrong with it.
- My eyes get drowsy/heavy whenever I eat junk food. I have had instances where I ate some really bad food and the feeling I get when I drink alcohol or smoke marijuana happens to me.
- I get tired easily, since last year I have had to take a nap almost every day. I had a lot of energy before this had happened. I was able to work out for hours after coming home from work. Now I get tired after an hour of exercise and immediately go home and take a nap.
- I haven't been able to enjoy a beer or smoke marijuana since that night. Whenever I try to drink alcohol the feeling in my eyes gets more intense and my head begins to get tense, especially the back of my head. If I drink a lot the pressure in my head increases and begins to throb hard, moreover I get heart palpitations and I begin to feel dizzy/lightheaded. If I smoke marijuana, I have a constant headache for the next couple of days. Also, when I smoke I begin to starve. I know it's supposed to make you hungry but I STARVE like if I haven't eaten in days. My arms start to feel weak and I feel like if I don't eat right away I will collapse. This is the first time this has ever happened to me. I haven't smoked or drank in several months mainly because of how it makes me feel now but I am still feeling fatigued and the feeling in my eyes hasn't gone away.
Category: Eye
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Also woke up with vertigo for a minute after eating greasy food the night before.
Expert:  MD Doc replied 2 months ago.

Thanks for providing a detailed medical history for the medical experts at Just Answer.

Given your symptoms and the medical test results, I believe that you are possibly suffering from a form of Migraine.

This can be exacerbated by drinks/ marijuana, and can cause the symptoms that you are currently experiencing.

Excessive anxiety, improper sleep are other possible triggers for the same.

I would recommend discussing this possibility with your PCP, getting a neurologist involved if possible, and taking a trial of anti-migraine medicines.

Also, do continue getting treatment for eye allergies, even if you feel better,

Warm regards,

Dr. Gupta, MD

Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 2 months ago.

The system says that you have requested another expert.

It is possible that many of these symptoms are due to migraines, as suggested by the other expert. It is also possible that there could be a component of muscle contraction headache.

If not already done, it also would be appropriate to check for various metabolic conditions, with a general chemistry profile, complete blood count, and thyroid profile.

It is also true that some people can have paradoxical reactions to alcohol or marijuana, and while it may mean that you need to avoid those substances, there is no other medical concern about having such reactions.

Expert:  Dr. David replied 2 months ago.

This is Dr. David

it sounds like beer and marijuana very much sets off your symptoms

beer and alcohol can very much dehydrate you and can cause headaches and dryness and pains of the eye

marijuana and smoke can also irritate the eyes.

your anxiety symptoms also can magnify symptoms and make you more worried about more paranoid about small symptoms as well.

you may need more treatments for your anxiety symptoms to help calm them down to help

you are only taking xanax for your anxiety symptoms?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I am not taking xanax, only took it for a few days. Also I havent used marijuana and havent drank alcohol in several months. Its not just the drugs but also foods that make my heartburn go through the. I am beginning to think that my stomach is causing these conditions. The more I eat spicy or greasier foods the more my eyes get irritated/uneasy. There has been a couple instances where I woke up with vertigo.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
make my heartburn go through the roof.

yes, spicy foods, alcohol, sodas, fatty foods, fried foods, tomato sauces, large meals, black pepper can all worsen your acid reflux and heart burn symptoms.

you have to change your diet to avoid these foods for now

also regular exercise, exercises which strengthen your abdominal muscles, improving your core muscle strength can help keep acid down in your stomach where it belongs.

let me know if you have other questions.

if done for now, please leave positive rating of 3-5 stars so I can get credit for helping you today

we only get credit for helping clients after positive feedback

you can always reach me directly with "a question for Dr. David" in the medicine or oncology categories if you have other questions

here is my website if you need to reach me:

Thanks for using