Dr. Dan B.
Dr. Dan B., Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Eye surgeon experienced in cataracts, glaucoma, retina & neuro-ophthalmology

I get my eyes thoroughly examined at an optometry clinic

Customer Question

I get my eyes thoroughly examined at an optometry clinic where they take retinal pictures. So far the doctor says he sees no changes since I've been going to the clinic. I've been going for 5 years, and recently I started going twice a year. I started going twice a year because I've been getting weird visual disturbances. It started with a quick flash of light when I blink , when waking up in the middle of the night. I saw my doctor promptly and he diagnosed ophthalmological migraines. I also see specks of blue light in broad daylight , always blue, and sometimes small sometimes large. When I wake up at night now I see rings of light. They look like my cornea reflecting back into my vision, and these rings are more noticeable when I move my head quickly up and down or to the side. Also, when I turn my head really fast, I'll see a black shadow for a second in the corner of my eye. It's always in the corner on the side which my head is turning towards. And when I jump or go for a jog I see these black shadows and or a pulse in my vision (almost like a heart beat in my eye)
I'm terrified that there's something there that's just not showing up in the test.
Any thoughts on this?
Category: Eye
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I should also add that I've had floaters as long as I can remember and I see afterimages and tracers regularly. I don't have any history of eye surgery, metal in eye etc.
And I used to get really bad migraine with aura, last one about a year ago
Expert:  Dr. David replied 2 months ago.

This is Dr. David

I'm glad you have seen an eye doctor and have had your retinal examined.

do you have excessive anxiety?

anxiety can make you very worried about very small changes in your vision

all of your visual issues could be 100% normal for you or from your ocular migraines.

no retinal disease has been found for you.