Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
48069651

Are you online right now

Customer Question

Hello dr are you online right now
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. David replied 6 months ago.

This is Dr. David

which doctor are you looking for?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I was looking for an opthalmologist?

ok.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
any opthalmologist
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Any opthalmologist a here?
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 6 months ago.

Hi. My name is***** and I am online and available to help you today. Thank you for your patience.

Question and answer is just one of the services I offer. I can also provide you with additional services, such as live telephone or skype consultation, at a small additional cost. Let me know if you are interested.

I am a ophthalmologist and retina surgeon.

Yes. But I have to leave for the OR but I should be done in about an 90 minutes or so and then can get back online

How can I assist you?

This is not an answer, but an Information Request. I need this information to answer your question. Please reply, so I can answer your question. I look forward to helping you.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Hi every since I had my baby my eyes cannot tolerate contacts anymore I have worn them for 20 years I am 34 now. When I wear them my eyes turn bloodshot red. Even
Now they are still red on and off. Anywya, the other day I noticed I have something jellylike on the white area of the outer part in my eye. I don't feel it however I rode in the airplane yesterday and I guess the air was dry and I felt it in my eye. Regardless it is worrying me as I don't know what it is and I know for sure its not a foreign object
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 6 months ago.

Sorry it has taken me so long to get back to you. I had to leave the State on a family emergency and forgot to take my computer with me.

The jelly like stuff in the white area of your eye is nothing to worry about.

This is called chemosis and is from swelling of the conjunctiva of your eyeball. This can occur from many reasons, from allergies, to dry eyes, to irritation etc.

It should resolve on its own.

Now. About the problems with the contacts.....

It sounds like you are suffering from dryness.and maybe blepharitis. You should have a complete exam by your ophthalmologist (eye MD). You might benefit from using a drop called restasis.

Here is some information about dryness and a home therapy you can also try:

Dry eyes can be due to many different factors. Different medicines such as psychiatric medicines, antihistamines, cold medicines and others can contribute to dry eyes. Allergies in the eyes can also contribute (make dry eyes worse). Some people have an innate deficiency in making their own tears (these people may also have other dry mucus membranes, such as their mouth, nasal passages, or genitalia). Many people have an inflammation in the eyelids called blepharitis which causes the tear film that is supposed to coat the front of the eye to not function as well, and then the eyes dry out. People with blepharitis have morning tearing, burning, and often eyelash mattering. Their symptoms get better as the day progresses, but then they get intermittent blurring when they use their eyes heavily in activities such as reading, watching TV, computer use or driving.

Because blepharitis is so under-diagnosed and the treatment for it is relatively benign, you might consider starting this treatment, while concurrently continuing artificial tears. In order to treat blepharitis, everyday in the morning you should do two things: 1. hot compresses and 2. eyelid scrubs. You should do hot compresses for 5-10 minutes over each eye at the same time. It should be as hot as you can tolerate without burning your skin, massaging the eyelids while they are on there. Then, use either commercially available preparations or a dilute baby shampoo solution to scrub your eyelashes on all 4 eyelids. The commercially available preparations are called Ocusoft or Sterilid which are both over-the-counter eyelash scrubbing treatments. These cost more money but are quicker to use. Otherwise, the cheaper alternative is the dilute baby shampoo (4-5 drops Johnson's shampoo in 1/4 cup warm water), you will take the wipe (or dip a qtip in the dilute baby shampoo solution) and use that to scrub right on the eyelashes of each eyelid for 15 seconds. That will take 60 seconds when done to all 4 eyelids. The scrubbing is done right on the eyelid margin, where the eyelashes come out. After that, just splash some water on the eyes and you're done.

It does take about 3-4 weeks of doing this consistently every day before it really kicks in, so don't stop it thinking it's not working. Also the eyes are still significantly dry during this 3-4 weeks so use the artificial tears you bought 4x/day in both eyes (one drop per application). After 4 weeks you should be able to start tapering off of the tears to as you need them.

Just doing the artificial tears, hot compresses and eyelid scrubs alone would likely start to help you after three or 4 weeks--but remember it could take this long of doing it everyday before you see a significant effect, so don't stop it thinking it's not working.

If you are a person that doesn't make their own tears very well, then you may also benefit from a prescription drop called Restasis, which actually modulates a person's immune system to help them make more of their own tears. This drop actually requires constant usage on a daily basis for up to 10-12 weeks before its effect kicks in (takes awhile to change the immune response in the body).

Because there are numerous reasons for dry eye, if not all the reasons that exist in one patient are treated, it can seem as though the ones that are being treated are providing no benefit. If you've tried these recommendations and still don't feel better then you should consider seeing an ophthalmologist for a dry eye evaluation.

Does this make sense to you?

It's safe for you to press the positive feedback button now if you so desire. And, never fear, even after you press that button I'll still be right here to continue helping you, but, as I do work for tips, I want to make sure you are happy before rating me.

Dr. Rick MD FACS

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Thank you Dr Rick you calmed me down a bit...my next question is, since I am pretty sure I suffer from dry eyes does that make lasik surgery for me not an option?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Btw I hope everything is okay with your family
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 6 months ago.

No. Dry eyes does not -- completely -- rule out lasik surgery.....but it can make it a lot riskier since lasik, in and of itself, makes the eyes dry.

Your lasik surgeon would be able to advise you during your pre-op evaluation if your dryness would be a problem.

My family member is doing a bit better. Times like this are when being an MD sucks as I know too much :(

Thank you for asking.

I am happy to be able to help you today. If you would be so kind, please help me get credit for my efforts in answering your questions and press the excellent feedback button for this encounter. And, don’t forget, I work for tips. I would also be happy to continue to answer any more questions you have until we have resolved your concern.

Dr. Rick MD FACS