Dr. Muneeb Ali
Dr. Muneeb Ali, Intensivist
Experience:  MBBS, MD, MCCM.Currently working in Critical Care Medicine with 10 year experience in Medicine

I have food poisoning and have been vomiting for 5 hours. I

Customer Question

I have food poisoning and have been vomiting for 5 hours. I joke woke up from a nap and now I have a kaleidoscope effect happening in the peripheral of my left eye. No headache or even head pain, but it's freaking me out! It's now been there for 10mins!
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Muneeb Ali replied 2 months ago.

Im sorry to hear about your symptoms. Now since you have been vomiting for a period of 5 hours it is very likely that you are dehydrated quite a bit. This can cause visual effects to occur as well including the symptoms which you have desccribed as well as blurring of vision and along with other symptoms like dizziness, weakness, dry skin and mouth. If this is the case then you need to be rehydrated as soon as possible with oral rehydration salts (ORS) and if you cant take anything orally you would need IV fluids for rehydration.

Secondly if this is not associated with the food poisoining then this could be an unrelated pathology of the eye, in some patients retinal pathologies can present in this manner as well as cause a darkening of the field of vision. Regardless of the cause this does need to be evaluated.

So in summary if you cant take anything orally, water or ORS or gatorade for that matter, witout vomiting and this effects seems to be persisting i would strongly suggest that you visit the urgent care center as soon as possible for a complete evaluation.

Do you have any more questions?

Please leave a POSITIVE (3 – 5 stars, preferably 5) rating by clicking on the stars above, until you do i am not compensated for my time. You can continue to ask follow-up questions even after the POSITIVE rating. You can also ask questions from me directly by going on the link below,