Dr. Muneeb Ali
Dr. Muneeb Ali, Intensivist
Experience:  MBBS, MD, MCCM.Currently working in Critical Care Medicine with 10 year experience in Medicine

Jagged lines in my vision. Distorted vision. Help!

Customer Question

A few days ago, I fell asleep on the sofa and when I woke up I saw some jagged black lines in my vision. This lasted a second or so and after it happened a few times, disappeared. Shortly after I woke up today (this is the second time it happened) on the right side I saw a distortion of what I looked at (like an arc) and that arc was not clear, so that if I tried to read something, it was distorted and maybe even blank in spots. I noticed it was in both eyes. After about 5 minutes it went away. I had my eyes checked about 1-1/2 years ago, and everything was fine. By the way I'm 69 years old. I have an astigmatism, and am farsighted. Also, about two years ago I developed Type 2 diabetes, which I keep in check with Metmorfin 500 mg, twice a day. I suffer from hypothyroidism and take a 100 mg tablet every day.
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Muneeb Ali replied 2 months ago.
Hi, I am sorry to hear about your symptoms. Now distortion of vision of this sort can be due to a number of conditions. This can occur from a problem inside the eyes themselves or even due to a problem in the brain. Considering that you have diabetes I would first consider diabetes affecting the eyes over the last one and a half years which can lead to distortions like these. This can be easily diagnosed on the basis of a simple fundoscopy and then treated with treating the underlying diabetes. Another cause of this could be due to vitreous detachment in which the vitreous humor present in your eye may be pulling away from the retina and if this is the case then this can cause the jagged lines in your vision. The jagged lines are actually floaters which are appearing in your vision. These can be due to a number of conditions including vitreous detachment. Another serious conditions which can cause floaters is retinal detachment which requires immediate examination and intervention. Symptoms which are transient in nature can also be due to a blood clot in either the retinal artery or the veins. This would require an immediate examination as well. Your diabetes is a risk factor for clots being formed in the vessels in different regions of the body. I would recommend that you do get a complete opthalomological examination done as soon as possible to rule out these conditions.