Dr. Thomas, MD
Dr. Thomas, MD, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Internal Medicine--practice all of internal medicine, all ages, family, also Integrative, CAM, etc
24257177

Dear Ms. Pearl, since i woke up this morning, my left eye

Customer Question

Dear Ms. Pearl Wilson, since i woke up this morning, my left eye has been hurting! SUDDENLY! I'm not sure if a stye is abt to form or what is causing this! My left eye feels heavy, sore, painful, uncomfortable, like my eyeball is coming out from the eye sockets or something... I don't see any physical bump(s) but I do see it's a bit bloodshot - but so is my right eye and my right eye feels normal, no discomfort at all. Please advise! Looking forward to your response!
JA: Did you have a recent injury to the eye? How is your vision?
Customer: Nope I didn't have any recent eye injury. My vision is not affected. And I think my vision is normal. Can't tell if it's a bit blurry. I think it is a bit blurry but it might be my mind playing tricks on me...
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: No eye medical history except perhaps getting hit in the face more than 5 years ago with a volleyball during Physical Education class when we played some ball games.And I was diagnosed with Irlen Syndrome in 2011 and have been wearing special tinted spectacles since then.But Irlen Syndrome is Visual Perceptual Disorder - I don't think it'd have any relation to a physical pain like this right?And I think this is my first time feeling this sensation in my eye. It doesn't feel like a stye (I've gotten sties quite a significant number of times before). Unless i've not had a stye for that long that i've forgotten what a stye feels like.
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. David replied 4 months ago.

This is Dr. David

I am sorry you are having such bad pain in your left eye.

you could be having bad allergy symptoms which can cause severe eye pain.

lack of sleep, dehydration, prior alcohol use can cause eye pain

you could have slept on the side of your face and eye at night time possibly which can cause pain in your left eye.

normal vision is a good sign.

you can try some cold compresses and cold towels or cool packs on your eye and see if that helps

tylenol or advil could help the pain as well

do you want to go in and see an eye doctor for an eye exam?

Expert:  Dr. Thomas, MD replied 4 months ago.

Hello

This needs immediate exam.

Severe eye pain, blood shot, can be glaucoma.

This type of glaucoma, if this is the case can damage vision rapidly.

It can be internal infection: same risks.

Go to the ER, urgent care, or doctors office right now.

I am a double board certified US doctor.

Here to help daily.

Find me as needed.

Please click a postive on this post if you appreciate my answer.