Dr. Muneeb Ali
Dr. Muneeb Ali, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, MD, MCCM. Currently working in Critical Care Medicine with 10 year experience in Medicine
22950887

Just this moring I am suddenly seeing a prism with my left

Customer Question

just this moring I am suddenly seeing a prism with my left eye.
JA: When was the last time you had your eyes checked? In general, how has your vision been lately?
Customer: I had it checked about a year ago. A number of years ago had cateract surgery and then had some time with a retina specialist. but my vision was normal for years now.
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: border line high blood pressure
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Muneeb Ali replied 7 months ago.

Im sorry to hear about your symptoms. Now it sounds like that you have distorted color vision which is causing the appearance of a prism in your vision. The commonest cause of this is swelling of the cornea which is the white portion of the eye. If your corneas are swollen that is known as corneal edema. Now there are several causes for this. The inside lining of the cornea (corneal endothelium) is responsible for keeping the cornea clear of fluid, and if this layer is becomes damaged symptoms of corneal edema may occur. When mild, corneal edema may cause fluctuating or occasionally blurred vision. This may be worst when first opening the eyes after sleeping. Treatment of corneal edema sometimes depends on its cause. Mild edema can be treated with hypertonic eye drops and ointment. This draws fluid out of the cornea and into the tears, and helps to clear the cornea. More severe edema, especially with blister (bullae) formation, may require corneal transplant to correct.

Now this can be due to an infection of the cornea itself, there are other causes for this condition as well but considering the sudden onset of these symptoms and im assuming that it is persistent, it is recommended that you go see your opthalmologist NOW and if you cant see him soon, then go to urgent care to have this evaluated. Persistent color distortion in the eyes ALWAYS has to be evaluated for serious condition, i would strongly urge you to have this evaluated as soon as possible.

Do you have any more questions?

Please leave a POSITIVE (3 – 5 stars, preferably 5) rating by clicking on the stars above, until you do i am not compensated for my time. You can continue to ask follow-up questions even after the POSITIVE rating. You can also ask questions from me directly by going on the link below,

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-muneeb-ali/

Would you to know anything else?One more possibility which can be considered is that if the lens for your cataract surgery was placed in the left eye then it could be a problem related to the artificial lens. This would again need evaluation and possible replacement of the lens. If done for now, please remember to leave a positive rating as that is the only way we are compensated for our time spent helping you. You can continue to ask follow-up questions even after the rating.