Dr. Muneeb Ali
Dr. Muneeb Ali, Intensivist
Experience:  MBBS, MD, MCCM.Currently working in Critical Care Medicine with 10 year experience in Medicine

Swollen eye (lid, socket, and general area). There is no

Customer Question

Swollen eye (lid, socket, and general area). There is no obvious stye "bump", it's just generally swollen all around and tender to the touch. obstructs vision by about 20%. Hurts to blink. Hot compresses have little to no effect.
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Muneeb Ali replied 2 months ago.

Im sorry to hear about your symptoms. From what you are describing it sounds like that you may have developed orbital cellulitis, this is a serious condition which requires IMMEDIATE antibiotics and clinical evaluation. The reason as to why im saying this might be cellulitis is the fact that there is marked swelling of the lid as well as the socket and it is obstructing your vision. If this was only stye then the swelling usually does not go beyond the lid, if the socket and surrounding areas are swollen then it is likely that you may have developed cellulitis. Sometimes fever may accompany the findings. This can also cause the eye to bulge out somewhat. This requires immediate care and i would advise that you visit urgent care asap.

Now if the swelling isnt marked and only encroaches on the surrounding tissues then it is possible that you could have an internal stye which is why it is not visible on the surface of the eyelid. Even if this is the case swelling beyond the eyelid would need antibiotics or possible lancing of the stye.

But i feel since this is painful and is causing swelling of the whole eye area, it needs antibiotics and an urgent care visit.

Do you have any more questions?

Please leave a POSITIVE (3 – 5 stars, preferably 5) rating by clicking on the stars above, until you do i am not compensated for my time. You can continue to ask follow-up questions even after the POSITIVE rating. You can also ask questions from me directly by going on the link below,

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Yep, you nailed it, internal stye/hordeolum. local ophthalmologist gave me some doxy antibiotics. Thanks for the recommendation.

Youre more than welcome, do remember to leave a POSITIVE rating as that is the only way we are compensated for our time.