Dr. A.S. Desai
Dr. A.S. Desai, Ophthalmologist
Experience:  MS Ophthalmology with 13 years of surgical expereince

My 2 year old son just had a digital vision test done he

Customer Question

My 2 year old son just had a digital vision test done he failed the aniosometropia and/or small angle Strabismus.
JA: Have you seen a doctor about this yet? What medications are you taking?
Customer: Yes and none
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: No
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. A.S. Desai replied 3 months ago.

Thank you for the question. I am Dr.A.S.Desai, certified ophthalmologist and I look forward to assisting you today.

Was your son examined by an optometrist or an ophthalmologist?

Do you mean to say that your son was detected with anisometropia ( difference in refractive error in both eye) and strabismus ?

Was he advised to wear glasses or prisms for the same?

I look forward to your reply and additional information.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
His regular doctor took a picture of his eyes and something came up irregular. He has been referred to an ophthalmologist

Thank you for the additional information.

Yes, he does need a preliminary eye exam by an ophthalmologist first . This is to examine his visual acuity and to detect the amount of refractive error. Then the amount of strabismus or squint needs to be detected. Based on the exam findings the child will be given spectacles with or without prisms. Depending on the visual acuity presence or absence of amblyopia is detected. If amblyopia is present then patching of the sound eye for few hours a day is usually advised until the vision in the poor eye improves. Most of these measures are very effective and are treatable upto 10 years of age.

I guess it is right to consult the ophthalmologist first. Please do not worry as some amount of refractive error and small squint is often seen in children and are corrected with treatment.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Are these eyes test usually done on 2 year olds

Yes, these tests can be done on 2 year old children when there is a doubt about presence of refractive error or squint.

If you need more help, please use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If you do not require further assistance, kindly rate my service.

Thank you and best wishes.

It was a pleasure to have answered this question.

Views expressed are for information purpose only and cannot substitute a visit to an ophthalmologist

Is there anything else that I can answer for you?