Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.

I had an ingrown hair and/or pimple right below my eyebrow

Customer Question

I had an ingrown hair and/or pimple right below my eyebrow and when I squeezed it my eyelid up to my eyebrow started swell. There is no pain or itching
JA: How long have you been dealing with this? Is your eyelid swollen at all?
Customer: About 40 Minutes. I put a cold compress on it and it seems to be helping somewhat. My eyelid is slightly swollen but I can see out of it fine
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: No significant allergies and I am wearing my glasses so it is not from contacts.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Opthamologist about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 3 months ago.

Hello from JustAnswer.

Could you attach a picture of the area?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I was just getting up so sorry about the appearance.

There is certainly no need to apologize.

The primary reason for the picture would be to look for any evidence of any infection in the soft tissue, and the picture clearly does not show any evidence of such an infection.

This probably started as an obstructed sweat gland ad the squeezing caused some of the accumulated material to spread into the surrounding subcutaneous tissue resulting in the swelling. This is not a serious problem and will usually resolve with conservative management. It is true that cold will help to ease swelling, but ice packs will do better than cold compresses. The ice packs should only be left in place for about 15 minutes, but they can be applied again after the tissue returns to body temperature. Usually, 3-4 times per day is sufficient, but when the swelling is more severe, they can be applied every 30-60 minutes.

After the diffuse swelling goes down, warm compresses are actually better to help drainage. If the swelling is intermittent, getting better with the ice and returning later, it is also OK to use the ice to ease the swelling and then the warm compresses.

It also is important to clean the area well a couple times per day and to limit the use of cosmetics directly on the original site.

If I can provide any additional information, please let me know.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Thank you so much! I knew I shouldn't touch it! Lesson learned.Have a wonderful Sunday and I will keep you on file for any future problems.

You are most welcome.

If you would like my assistance with any future questions, it can be directed to me through my profile at