Dr Stan
Dr Stan, Doctor
Experience:  Physician at Stanley L Simpson, DO

My eye is bloodshot, when i eiped my eye there was blood on

Customer Question

my eye is bloodshot, when i eiped my eye there was blood on the tissue
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr Stan replied 3 months ago.

Hi, Dr. Stan here to help. A ruptured blood vessel in the eye needs immediate attention. Go to an Urgent Care center now. It could be infection, increased eye pressure. I hope this is helpful. I am here to answer any additional questions you may have. Please leave a positive rating, this is how I am paid for my response.

Expert:  Dr. A.S. Desai replied 3 months ago.

I am Dr.A.S.Desai, board certified ophthalmologist and I am glad to assist you with this question. I do not agree with what Dr.Stan has written in his answer as the most common cause for blood in tears with a blood shot eye is a subconjunctival bleed or hemorrhage( SCH). Now this is not an emergency and does not point towards any grievous disease of the eye as such. The blood shot appearance of the eye will disappear naturally over a week or two. Except for artificial tear drops nothing else is needed. The exact cause of this bleed may not be clear as it can occur due to vigorous rubbing of the eye, forceful coughing or sneezing or spontaneously in those who are on blood thinning medicines such as low dose Aspirin.

So the bot***** *****ne is not to worry and wait for spontaneous recovery or resolution.

Hope the answer is useful and to your satisfaction. Have a good day and a great weekend.

Do remember to rate the response however.

Thanks and best wishes

Expert:  Dr Stan replied 3 months ago.

I will defer to the opinion of my Ophthalmologist expert.