Dr. Dan B.
Dr. Dan B., Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Eye surgeon experienced in cataracts, glaucoma, retina & neuro-ophthalmology
36528250

When i woke this morning i could see a prism effect in my

Customer Question

Hello - when i woke this morning i could see a prism effect in my left eye - when i closed my eyes it was there. For a while it was like i was looking through a prism seems to have gone now. Any suggestions?
JA: OK. To minimize me, please click the down arrow at the top right corner of this box. When was the last time you had your eyes checked? In general, how has your vision been lately? OK. To minimize me, please click the down arrow at the top right corner of this box. Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: about a year ago - all good just a very small prescription for reading glasses as i do read a lot with work. No other health issues but had a bit of a stressful time recently. Not sure if this could impact?
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Opthamologist about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. David replied 5 months ago.

This is Dr. David

if you had excessive fluid or mucus in your eyes when you woke up which is very common, the light hitting the tearing or fluid in the eye can refract light and cause a prism or rainbow effect to your vision for short period of time

once you wash up and wash your face and get the fluid and mucus out of your eyes, it should go away.

I would not worry about this effect too much.

let me know if you have other questions.