Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
48069651

Ophyhalmology question: I had cataract surgery about a year

Customer Question

Ophyhalmology question:
I had cataract surgery about a year and a half ago, and then about six months later surgery for removal of scar tissue. My age is 68.
My question/problem is as follows: My night vision for driving is really HORRIBLE, with the glare from oncoming car lights. Street lights, review mirror lights are not too bad.....only the oncoming cars. A four lane highway is a little better than just a two lane highway. Thankfully, I don't have to do much before sunrise and after sunset driving. However, this "condition" has really impacted my lifestyle.
I have tried to be proactive in finding a solution. I tried the (yellow tint lens) glasses that were supposed to help......only a tiny bit. Then I asked my eye doctor and he suggested the polarized lens . . in a medium of grey. These were of no help either.
I don't need a lens prescription for (distance) ..... I can see fine. It's that darned glare from the oncoming cars that is disabling.
I MUST make a long car trip soon, and I'm so WORRIED about the night driving. Is there anything I can do?? I need help !! Thank you very much, Mary Schuh
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 6 months ago.

Hi. My name is***** and I am online and available to help you today. Thank you for your patience.

Question and answer is just one of the services I offer. I can also provide you with premium services, such as live telephone or skype consultation, at a small additional cost. Let me know if you are interested.

Where was the scar tissue? Was it you posterior capsule, retina etc?

What lens did you have implanted (look on your card)?

Do you have any other medical problems or take any medications?

This is not an answer, but an Information Request. I need this information to answer your question. Please reply, so I can answer your question. I look forward to helping you.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Question (1) I'm sorry, I'm not sure.....the procedure only took a few seconds in his office.....not in a hospital environment.
Question (2) I did not receive any "card" from the doctor...........I had the "Medicare lenses", not the really expensive ones.
Question (3) I have R/A and high blood pressure. I take a variety of medications...Embrel, steroids, Naproxen ,methotrexate, high blood pressure meds
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Are you in the process of answering my question? with all the requested additional information that you needed.? Please respond. Thank you
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 6 months ago.

Thank you for that additional information.

It sounds like you had a YAG laser posterior capsulotomy done.

Every patient gets a card ;)

So. What to do?

Since you are still having glare issues then your surgeon can probably "polish" the edges of the posterior capsule lips in just a few moments. She could also make the opening a bit larger.

Another option, at least to get you through your car trip if she can't get you in for the laser treatment in a timely fashion, would be to use 1% pilocarpine drops in the affected eye 30 minutes before driving and every 4 hours while driving. This should get rid of the glare....

I do not believe that there is anything serious wrong with your retina etc...

Does this make sense to you?

It's safe for you to press the positive feedback button now if you so desire. And, never fear, even after you press that button I'll still be right here to continue helping you, but, as I do work for tips, I want to make sure you are happy before rating me.

Dr. Rick MD FACS