Dr. Dan B.
Dr. Dan B., Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Eye surgeon experienced in cataracts, glaucoma, retina & neuro-ophthalmology
36528250

Please only reply if you are sure you know the specific eye

Customer Question

Please only reply if you are sure you know the specific eye exercises, or other action, that will solve this vision skills issue. This is ruining my life, PLEASE HELP!!
VISION THERAPY Expert ONLY:
Starting occasionally in 2009, then reaching its current perpetual state by 2010, I have pronounced vision issues of hyper-convergence and hyper-accommodation (to a distance of about 11 inches). (you could also call it convergence infacility)I have to strain very hard to fuse (and accommodate) any objects that are further than 11 inches. If I stop straining, I get an immense feeling of muscle relaxation and and relief, with obvious realization of how very tense the muscles were being kept.... but then of course, everything is very blurry and double, so I have to tense and strain again. After some hours of this tensing, I get very severe headache and pain all around my eye area, including the brow, behind the eye, and the eyeball itself (almost a bruised feeling).My lens wet refraction is almost perfect:
Right Eye -0.50 -0.75 145
Left Eye -0.25 -1.00 30My age is 38, I'm not taking any medications, and I'm left eye dominant.
Anything else you need to know, just ask. I have bought some things over the years.
The Ophthalmologists I see tell me this is not their area of study or expertise.
There were only two Vision Therapists in my city. One of them closed down, and the other was exposed as a fraud who was scamming patients.I MUST find the solution to this.
It's has STOLEN MY LIFE FROM ME.The more I strain, the harder it becomes. The first 10 min. I'm awake vision is much easier to get clear, but then it quickly gets difficult, and by end of day, it's almost impossible to see anything, and I have extreme pain around the eyes.I've tried many different pairs of glasses, but they don't help my vision skills issue. I find glasses with only astigmatism correction to be better than ones with power in either direction, but even those seem to push the issue even worse, so I only wear them at night in order to be able to drive.Dry refraction could not be determined because I could not see the large E, and the machine reading is very different each time.
I do not have strabismus.
In the office, they use full paralyzing drops and not just the dilating ones.
At home I have atropine which I've tried using for 1-2 weeks at a time, to rule out accommodative spasm.[an observation; let me know if this is related, unrelated or is normal... when I lay in bed at night, the light on the smoke detector disappears if I look at it, but if I look a foot or two away in any direction, it appears again.]
Category: Eye
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I also notice that when I do hold something at the close distance, like my phone, then the image is double for the opposite reason; the eyes merging behind the object. So vision is double at all distances. And it's NOT a matter of it taking the eyes time to adjust when switching between close and far.. in fact it's the opposite; the longer I look at a particular distance, the more double it becomes and the more I have to strain to get it single... until eventually the eyes get too tired and sore to continue straining.
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 5 months ago.

As we discussed the last time you posted this exact question, Your problem does not have to do with your eyes or your visual system given the data you have provided.

You should consult with a psychiatrist.

Does this make sense to you?

I am sorry to see that you have given me a poor rating for the assistance I have provided. Ratings do not apply to system malfunctions...only to the quality of the expert.

I would ask that you give me a chance to provide you with further data so that you have the information you need to address your issue.

I would appreciate a good or excellent rating and will work hard to obtain it if given the chance.

Thank you.

I realize that this was not the answer you were hoping to hear but it would be unfair to you and unprofessional of me were I provide you with anything less than truthful and honest information.

Surely, you prefer that I tell the truth rather than what you wish to hear. Because it reflects very poorly on me unless you press one of the top three feedback choices, keep this in mind when rating my answer and please do not punish me for being honest. I understand that this may not be easy to hear, and I empathize.

Even though my answer was not quite what you were hoping for, please understand that my priority was to provide you with the most honest information. With that in consideration, I hope that you found my answer useful. Please click the excellent feedback button so that I can receive credit for my efforts.

Dr. Rick MD FACS