Dr. Thomas, MD
Dr. Thomas, MD, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Internal Medicine--practice all of internal medicine, all ages, family, also Integrative, CAM, etc
24257177

I have an allergic situation (as I was told) when days come

Customer Question

I have an allergic situation (as I was told) when days come and pass and ok and then it hits me where i have runny nose, sneezing, congested nose, thick and think both types of nasal discharge and I kept cleaning my nose the the discharge seems to never end.
How can I prevent it?
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Thomas, MD replied 5 months ago.

Hi

You can of course use anti histamines.

If these are air borne allergies, there really is not a way to prevent it.

But, you can at least clear up the air quality in your home..which is where allergen concentrated.

Get a HEPA filter for your room, and in fact you can get one for the furnace and clear the whole house.

you can have allergy testing from an allergist, and you can get shots if indicated that will make you more immune to the allergens; that is one way to go as well.

You can make sure that your diet is less allergy generating.

This would be a diet similar to the Meditteranean diet, with whole food, avoiding all processed foods, excess animal products, and eating organic as much as you can.

OK, so you might have more questions or want to give me more information: Please use reply to expert if you have further questions. Also, please click a positive rating [hopefully excellent—that’s how we are paid, per rating]. If you forgot something, come back. I am here http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-thomas/

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
All of what you said has been tried. Am living with this since child hood and as ages up, its more dfficult to cope.
So I see that there is no way out of it.
I am not expecting a list of medicines from you. I have the following questions.
1. Is taking anthistamine on a regular basis will cause any side effects (cancer etc) to me?
2. Is taking nasionex which is a spray but i think it is a sterioid spray which i used only in extreme cases like once six months (for 1 week) will cause any side effects?
3. Most important I feel that when I eat a lot of dry fruits (cahewnuts + walnuts) i got it immediately. Is there a link?
4. Also when I use dairy products like fresh cream a lot, it comes on
5. Also when i sleep in high A/C room it comes but strangly in winter no matter how cold it is , i never got it, only when in A/C why?
6. Please can you suggest some food items that are anti histamine or those which works to support me?
7. Also list food items which work to make it worse?
Lastly Please advise what exercises I can do to make it better
cheers

1. Not if you use the newer ones such as claritin.

2. No, that is a minimal use.

3. Yes. Allergens can cross react. Something in the fruit is doing that.

4. Same.

5. No way to know, unless there is mold promoted by the A/C unit.

6. A completely vegetarian, whole foods diet, with occasional fish is anti histamine.

7. Meat, other animal products, any refined foods, and sugars.

Yoga can help, with a good instructor.

Positive rating please.

Or, if you want to go into alternative medicine [with which I have cured allergies] accept the additional services offer.

please click a positive rating [hopefully excellent—that’s how we are paid, per rating]. If you forgot something, come back. I am here http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-thomas/

Expert:  Nadim Al-Mubarak replied 5 months ago.

Greetings

• These symptoms, if allergy-related, will only be airborne. It will have nothing to do with diet. That would be waste of time
  • Long-term use of Claritin or any other Anti-histamines is not without any consequences. Long QT interval on the EKG is a problem in these situations
  • Steroid spray is a good option
  • See and ENT/Allergy specialist for anatomical evaluation and allergy testing. Chronic sinusitis could be an aggravating factor and needs to be excluded

Best wishes

Hi

Dietary allergens can cross react with other allergens through the immune system.

Claritin has not been shown at this point to have long term side efects.

You already mentioned the steroid spray.

As I have said, and you have said , you have seen an allergist.

Find me as needed, Dr. Thomas, for correct answers.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I am not taking claratine but Fexodine which is effective for me. I have attached the image of medicine please tell if this the latest set of medicines you said are safe.
I also have received a message at the end of your reply about matural medicines. Is this message from you? are you not a medical doctor? then how can you suggest natural home remedy ?
Can you please elaborate if you choose your offer, what actually will you provide? because am in saudi arabai, maybe your medicines are not vailable here?

I am an MD

I am double board certified in internal medicine and integrative medicine.

If you choose the offer, I will describe evidence based ways of dealing with allergies.

There might be some confusion: I am the original expert on the pose.

Yes the message was from me.

Fexefenodine is a newer antihistamine. I believe the safety profile is better with claritin.

By the way

Since I don't want you to be confused by some of the information posted, here is a description of cross reaction between food allergens and pollen

https://www.aaaai.org/conditions-and-treatments/library/allergy-library/outdoor-allergies-and-food-allergies-can-be-relate

Make sure you stick with me so we can finish: dr. thomas only

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Doctor Nadeem,
I do have what is called Chronic sinusitis and so is my dad. It runs in the family.
You said nasionex spray is safe but taking antihistamines not. What kind of problem will I develop if i take them.
Usually I take these tablets for 1 week when I have this issue which is like twice every 6 months.
You said take appointment with ENT/allergic. which one should i look for?
Cheers
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Doctor Thomas,
I will accept your offer but can you elaborate what do you mean
"If you choose the offer, I will describe evidence based ways of dealing with allergies."

Hi

I don't think you saw my last answer.

In fact chronic use of steroid spray, if used a lot, and claritin, can present side effect....but claritin is one of the safest medications on the market.

both are safe.

Here is the answer again.

I am an MD

Yes the message was from me.

By the way

I am talking about functional medicine and integrative medicine to elaborate.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Doctor I want to tell you as maybe i misled you into food side.
Most of my allergies not by food only but by atmosphere
I am living in saudi arabia and there are dust storms so i feel the atmosphere is causing it
Also when i am on the street and any car exhast fumes comes close me, after 30 mins i get this issue. runny nose, itchy eyes etc

I already understood that.

You asked why you are worse with some foods.

I explained that as well;

Exhaust and such also acts as a chemical irritant and will aggravate your condition.

I will need to see a positive on my post at this point.

Come back as needed.

Or we can also go into premium services.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
You did not answer this
"If you choose the offer, I will describe evidence based ways of dealing with allergies."??

I will discuss diet, supplements that help and other methods.

If you would rather not, then simply give a positive rating so I am paid for my time.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I already paid for the detailed answer so why do i need to pay extra for the following
""If you choose the offer, I will describe evidence based ways of dealing with allergies."??"