Dr. Dan B.
Dr. Dan B., Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Eye surgeon experienced in cataracts, glaucoma, retina & neuro-ophthalmology
36528250

I got intense petechiae around my eyes and temples

Customer Question

Hello, I got intense petechiae around my eyes and temples immediately following a headstand in which i tensed up. I thought I had an allergy, it turns out it's post-inversions. But the redness seems to get worse and worse the more I do the inversions. It takes several days for them to disappear. Is it something in me in particular that might be causing them?
JA: How long have you had the symptoms? What seems to make the symptoms worse or better?
Customer: It first started a few months ago. I thought it was stress/allergies. I have had it happen several times so far, I've pinpointed it down to post-headstand
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: I'm vegan, 34 female, healthy, generally on the low blood pressure side, do yoga a couple of times a week though I'm not very strong or very good at it.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Doctor about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Eye
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
In the last few months, not sure if it's related, but I've also experienced itchiness sometimes and rough skin in the same areas that I sometimes get the petechiae. The roughness and itchiness have gone away though recently. Yet just today I got the most intense petechiae yet, post-headstand. Can it be a latent/lingering bacterial infection on my skin connected with applying pressure on top of my skull while upside down?
Expert:  Dr. David replied 5 months ago.

This is DR. David

doing inversions when you are not use to it can cause broken blood vessels in your head.

inversions usually don't cause skin infections.

you may need to do other cardio exercises for you blood vessels to be stronger so you can do inversions.

if you have not exercised regularly and your blood vessels are not use to doing these inversions, this can cause broken blood vessels, petechaie, and over time, broken blood vessels can cause scar tissue and thickening of skin.

did you tell your doctor you are doing these inversions?