Dr. Phil, MD
Dr. Phil, MD, Medical Doctor
Experience:  Medical Doctor Trained at a Top Academic Institution

I have had migraines since I was a child and am now years

Customer Question

I have had migraines since I was a child and am now 69 years old. Since the age of about 59 or 60, I occasionally get optical migraines (did have one episode back in my 40s), which usually involve gold, glittery or glistening shapes that fade out after about 20 minutes and no headache. For the past several months, maybe a year or more, I have noticed occasionally upon getting out of bed in the morning (not when getting up to use the BR during the night) that this sort of gold (not glittering) spot in the center of my vision (bilateral) forms (like a phosphene) and grows until it’s a donut shape. It might get greenish in the middle, grow a little larger and then fade away. One time, it got larger, turned glaring white and irregular, then faded away. I don’t see it during the day or night. I recently had cataract surgery (May and June) and a thorough examination of my eyes beforehand. The doctor said that he could see that I’d had an optical migraine and healed it myself (on the retina, I guess?). I don’t have any other symptoms when this oval phosphene occurs. Any ideas what this could be?
JA: When was the last time you had your eyes checked? In general, how has your vision been lately?
Customer: Did you read the above? It says.
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: I have been in remission from Graves disease for years and have my thyroid blood test once a year. Had it in May.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Opthamologist about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Phil, MD replied 4 months ago.

This is the same thing

It is a mini migraine

have meds to suppress migraines been suggested?

Thanks for this question

Please don't forget a positive rating. I appreciate it. :)

if you have more questions, just reply