Dr. Muneeb Ali
Dr. Muneeb Ali, Intensivist
Experience:  MBBS, MD, MCCM.Currently working in Critical Care Medicine with 10 year experience in Medicine

Seems I got mild form of solar retinopathy as my symptoms

Customer Question

Hi Dr
Seems I got mild form of solar retinopathy as my symptoms are negative after images and light sensitivity.
20 days pass and symptoms are still present.
Is there any chance the symptoms to get better ?
What regime I have to follow in while retinopathy cures ?
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Muneeb Ali replied 4 months ago.

im sorry to hear about your symptoms.

Well if you do have solar retinopathy then this would have occurred if your eyes were exposed to direct sunlight, which can lead to damage to the cells of the retina. This would usually cause symptoms like,

• difficulty in seeing shape and detail of objects
  • discomfort with bright light
  • a blind spot in your central vision
  • things may appear to be unusually coloured
  • objects may be distorted in shape

However negative afterimages may occur but those an be a consequence of other types of retinopathy as well. Now regarding your symptoms, presence and persistence of symptoms after 20 days CERTAINLY warrants an examination of the back of the eye with a fundoscope as well as with other tests to look at the retina. You need to go see an opthalomolgist.

2) As far as the chances of the symptoms improving are concerned, YES there is a chance that these symptoms disappear. As to how much time it will take, that varies from patient to patient and depends on the extent of the damage. In some patients it is only a matter of days however in others it can take weeks to months to completely heal.

3) The treatment for solar retinopathy is essentially monitoring and observation only. there is no beneficial medical therapy available at this point in time, usually most cases do improve over the course of a few days but DO require close monitoring. In the meantime AVOID looking at bright lights etc.

But the MOST important thing here is to go see your opthalmologist and get a fundoscopy and OCT test done ASAP.

Do you have any more questions?

Please leave a POSITIVE (3 – 5 stars, preferably 5) rating by clicking on the stars above, until you do i am not compensated for my time. You can continue to ask follow-up questions even after the POSITIVE rating. You can also ask questions from me directly by going on the link below,