MD Doc
MD Doc, Dr
Experience:  MD since 1994
239748

I am 58 yr old . I am going in surgery . I WAS on 80 mg

Customer Question

I am 58 yr old . I am going in for eye surgery . I WAS on 80 mg oxycodone for a few years . I have gotten off them about a year ago . I meet a women that was basically selling her body to buy the same drug . I fell in love with her and for the past yr I have been keeping MY prescription going and she has been depending on it . We are a normal productive couple that are caught in a grey area . When I went in for my pre op they were aware of my prescription and are under the impression that I am on the oxy !! I am scared it will have some affect health and surgery wise with them thinking on medicated and acually I won't be !! Should I be concerned ??
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr Basu replied 5 months ago.

Hi there,
This is Dr Basu, experienced Internal Medicine Specialist.
I am here to address your concerns and provide great service.

Yes indeed this is concerning.

Less amount of anesthetic and pain medication may be used on this assumption.

That can cause more pain sometimes.

However, in most cases, this may not be a problem as your doctors will monitor your level of anesthesia during the procedure and also pain perception.

It is better to tell the truth to your doctors for your best interest still.
Best wishes,
It was my pleasure to help you today.
If I have answered all your questions, Please rate my response Excellent (click on the 5th star).
Please bookmark my profile for fast, reliable and authentic answers!
This is the link to my profile:
http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-mysticdoc/

Expert:  MD Doc replied 5 months ago.

I believe that in your situation, given that almost all Eye Surgeries are done under Local Anesthesia (LA), the oxycodone prescription (which you are not taking) will not be an issue.

There is usually no specific titration of doses done for LA, so they will just check whether your eyes are anesthetized properly, and then proceed with surgery.

I agree with Dr. Basu, that it is always better to tell the medical specialists about relevant medical history so that any potential complications can be avoided.

Warm regards

Dr. Gupta, MD.