Dr. Hasan
Dr. Hasan, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, FCPS, with experience in all fields of medicine and surgery
28983357

My grandson is three and he is very congested with mucus

Customer Question

my grandson is three and he is very congested with green mucus comming out of his eyes and nose. Is this infection or allergy?
JA: How long have you been dealing with this? Are you having any breathing problems?
Customer: He is coughing and has had a stuffy nose but breathing is good.
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: He started with clear discharge we thought it might be allergies but now it is looking bad.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Opthamologist about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Hasan replied 6 months ago.

Hi, Thanks for your question. I'm Dr. Hasan and I'll try to help you. I am sorry to hear about your problem. I am going to address your primary concern but later you can ask anything you want. In very severe cases allergy can cause green discharge in nose but since he is getting the discharge through the eyes as well so this means that he has got a bacterial infection named as pseudomonas infection. I would strongly suggest you to take him to ER because he might need antibiotics. If even they find no infection, initial treatment is necessary to avoid an infection. So far with your description, it's an infection. Till you visit ER or if you can't for any reason, OTC Xylometazoline nasal drops (children formula), 2 drops thrice daily can help him. I wish him good luck and that he gets well soon. My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions. Kindly rate me when you are done. You can come back here to ask anything even after you have rated the answer. I will be glad to help you always. Regards