Janne Nissinen
Janne Nissinen,
Experience:  Neurology Fellow at University of California San Diego
92736226

I am having problems with visual disturbances. Since I had

Customer Question

I am having problems with visual disturbances. Since I had an ocular migraine two weeks ago I'm in a hypervigilant state waiting for another one to happen. I notice tons of floaters, visual snow, depth perception issues, flashing floaters quickly ect. I also see after images.I have had a full eye exam, CT scan of my head and mri of my head and neck with contrast and everything is normal. Am I having these visual issues because of anxiety and the fear I have associated with ocular migraines. I have now become afraid of going blind. Any insight is greatly appreciated
Category: Eye
Expert:  Janne Nissinen replied 6 months ago.

I’m Dr. Janne Nissinen, a board certified neurologist.

Please note that this is an information request and does not substitute an in person visit to a physician or an official diagnostic process. The advice given here is for information purposes only. Please give me a moment to read your question and type an answer.

The symptoms you describe can occur with migraines with distortion of depth perception, objects appearing smaller than they are,vision becoming wave and even prism effects. I suspect that your eyes are in good shape if you eye exam is normal. You may need to be on a preventative medication for migraines such as propranolol.

Very rarely occipital lobe seizures can cause strange visual phenomina, but this would be extremely rare for a healthy young individual otherwise.

I hope I was able to answer your question appropriately.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Im having these symptoms a majority of the time. It only occurred after I had my first aura migraine two months ago, it went away after I had a eye exam. Came back after my second aura migraine.This isn't like the aura migraine I had, it only lasted 10 minutes each time. But has scared me so badly because I don't like the loss of vision that happens. It's like I'm scanning my eyes 24/7 waiting for it to happen again... I did have the brain mri with contrast that was normal

What you are describing sounds a lot like "alice in wonderland syndrome" which can occur with migraines and presents with visual distortions. It is not dangerous and goes away on its own over time. Try not to worry

a normal brain MRI is also reassuring that nothing bad is going on.

Thank you for allowing me to participate in your medical care.

If any part of my response is unclear, please let me know. It’s my goal to deliver excellent service, so please let me know if there is anything more I can do. Thank you for using our site. If my answer has been helpful and to your satisfaction please remember to leave positive feedback.

Thank you and Best Regards,

Janne Nissinen, MD

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
this isn't dangerous? Could it be from all the stress I'm going through? Also are aura migraines dangerous. I'm terrified of them! Do they happen frequently? Mine seem to come during my period. I have only had two attacks and my Dr isn't concerned
Expert:  Janne Nissinen replied 5 months ago.

With hyperventilation stress could cause similar symptoms. Aura's in migraines are not dangerous themselves, you seem to be suffering from what are called "catamenia migraines" which come on during your period. I agree with your doctor that you should not be concerned.