Dr Uzair
Dr Uzair, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, FCPS (R) General Surgery. Years of experience in Emergency Medicine.
27273415

I had some itching in my eye from pollen and I rubbed it,

Customer Question

I had some itching in my eye from pollen and I rubbed it, the lower lid is now swollen.
JA: How long have you been dealing with this? Is your eyelid swollen at all?
Customer: Since this morning, yes the lower lid is swollen.
JA: Please give me a bit more information, so the Opthamologist can help you best.
Customer: It is not painful, but swollen. the only thing I did that could have caused it was rub my eyes.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Opthamologist should know?
Customer: I don't think so
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Opthamologist about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr Uzair replied 5 months ago.

Hi and welcome.

You have got an allergic reaction. You can take tablet loratidine 10 mg twice a day, it would reduce swelling. Cold compresses would help as well.

Let me know if you have further questions,

Please do not forget to leave a positive rating by clicking on stars on top right corner.

Wish you good health.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Is it possible that it caused a stye? If so, I read that a warm compress is the remedy for that.
Expert:  Dr Uzair replied 5 months ago.

A Stye is very painful and tender and appears as a solitary swelling.

At this point in time, there is swelling without pain, so best will be a cold compress to reduce the swelling. A hot compress is used when one sees a Stye and wants it to drain out the pus by hot fomentation.

Hot compress can make the swelling you have go worse. Take the anti allergic and apply cold compress four to five times a day for 10-15 minutes each.

Also, you can start on an anti inflammatory medication available OTC.

If the swelling becomes painful or appears to become a Stye - a solitary bump on the lid then you need to see a physician in the Er for a prescription of antibiotics both oral and topical and also for the best management plan.

Expert:  Dr Uzair replied 5 months ago.

Wish you good health.