Dr Josh
Dr Josh, Doctor
Experience:  Medicine doctor, PGCSD(dermatology)
6740150

My left lower eyelid is swollen. It appeared out of nowhere

Customer Question

My left lower eyelid is swollen. It appeared out of nowhere yesterday and is slightly worse today. Tender to touch. No vision issues. Not sure what this is and how I got it.
JA: How long have you been dealing with this? Is your eyelid swollen at all?
Customer: a day. yes
JA: Please give me a bit more information, so the Opthamologist can help you best.
Customer: My left lower eyelid is swollen. It appeared out of nowhere yesterday and is slightly worse today. Tender to touch. No vision issues. Not sure what this is and how I got it.
JA: Is there anything else the Opthamologist should be aware of?
Customer: No
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Opthamologist about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr Josh replied 6 months ago.

Welcome to Justanswer website.

Myself Dr Josh and I’m happy to help with your question today

In medical terms, this is called as Stye . It is a small, painful lump on the inside or outside of the eyelid. It can be external or internal in nature.

This is usually caused by infection with staphylococcus bacteria. It is caused by an infection of an eyelash follicle or by an infection of the sebaceous (Zeis) gland.

Usually, styes get better without treatment within a few days or weeks. And You should never attempt to burst a stye yourself.

You can go for warm compresses, Here a warm compress is a cloth or flannel warmed with hot water. The warmth of the compress will encourage the stye to release any pus, which will drain away.

You can repeat this three or four times a day until the stye clears up.

For associated pain, you can take OTC Tylenol or Motrin.

In case symptoms doesn't start to improve in next 3-4 days, then you would need antibiotics from your doctor.

This is contagious, So you should keep eyes and hands clean, and don't share pillowcases, bedsheets, washcloths or towels with others.

Most cases, of stye would get better by its own with above measures.

Hope this helped

Please use the REPLY BUTTON to reply back to me

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions.

Thank you.

Kind Regards

Dr.Josh

Expert:  Dr Josh replied 6 months ago.

Dear,

Do you have any follow up questions?

Thank you

Dr.Josh