Dr. David, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Experienced Physician trained in New York City. I'm ready to help.

My husband has woken up with one of s eyes nearly swollen

Customer Question

My husband has woken up with one of his eyes nearly swollen shut.
JA: How long have you been dealing with this? Is your eye itchy?
Customer: It started Thursday with itching. It was a bit worse Friday and now it is very itchy with redness along the line of the eyelashes.
JA: Please give me a bit more information, so the Opthamologist can help you best.
Customer: I have a photo if I can send it. The eye itself is not red nor is their any sign of a bite. The area of the eyelashes is very inflamed but the eye itself is not red. He feel pressure in the eye if he leans over to tie his shoes
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Opthamologist should know?
Customer: There are no bumps or pus - it looks like someone has hit him in the eye and the eyelid is very red. He thinks his immune system might be low... he took penicillin for 10 days when he was very ill with a throat infection that had not been addressed. He doesn't feel 100% in general.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Opthamologist about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. David replied 4 months ago.

This is Dr. David

it sounds like he most likely has a viral or bacterial conjunctivitis in his eyes.

no pus is good

he most likely has a viral conjuctivitis.

he needs to use warm compresses on his eyes on both sides

and wash his hands before and after he touches his eyes

if his eyes get worse with pus or more redness, he needs to see an eye doctor and get antibiotic eye drops to prevent bacteria infection his eyes viral conjunctivitis.

there are eye drops without penicillin in it to help fight bacterial eye infections.

if his eyes get too itchy, he has to see an eye doctor to give him prescription steroid eye drops to help calm down inflammation in his eyes.

let me know if you have other questions.

if done for now, please leave positive rating of 3-5 stars so I can get credit for helping you today

we only get credit for helping clients after positive feedback

you can always reach me directly with "a question for Dr. David" in the medicine or oncology categories if you have other questions

here is my website if you need to reach me:

Thanks for using