Neuro Doctor
Neuro Doctor, Neurologist (MD)
Experience:  American Board Certified Neurologist, Internal Medicine

Last night i mixed clorox bleach with woolite carpet cleaner

Customer Question

Last night i mixed clorox bleach with woolite carpet cleaner to use in my carpet shampooer. Ive mixed bleach with resolve cleaner before so i assumed it would be alright. Before i got half of the room done, the fumes overpowered me, my eyes started swelling and watering non stop, i could not breathe. I looked on the lable to see if it contained ammonia, didn't find that word but saw a whole list of fancy chemical names. I couldn't sleep from a persistent caugh which has become worse all day and night, my chest is tight and in the last hour i have started wheezing. Admittedly, we spent the entire last few days spring cleaning, kicking up dust, dealing with spoiled food in the fridge, cleaning out animals, but im worried my lungs were poisoned because of the mixture as i have been dizzy all day as well and it has become more difficult to breathe. Should i go to the er?
Category: Eye
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Im sorry for being persistent, but it said i would receive an answer after 10 minutes and its been an hour...
Expert:  Neuro Doctor replied 4 months ago.

Hi, I am an American Board Certified Neurologist and I am very glad to help you with your health concerns. I have received this question only now and I am answering this immediately.

Yes it is better to visit ER. You are having new onset symptoms after getting exposed to the chemicals used during carpet cleaning. In the ER they will examine you and also conduct few investigations that can shed more light into the nature and extent of injury to the lungs and other parts of the body including eyes etc. However these kinds of injuries are self resolving and you should feel better in the coming few days. In the meantime the doctors in the ER will decide whether you need any treatments like nasal Oxygen, Steroid treatment etc to manage this acute condition. So visiting the ER is recommended now.

Once again I reassure you these type of chemical exposure related lung/eye irritations are self limiting conditions, however seeing doctors in the ER is a prudent idea so that you receive a thorough examination, investigations and also relevant treatments which will help in rapid and full recovery.

Please let me know if you have any further questions; and if you feel you have received the answer to your question please rate me so that I can receive credit for the time and effort put by me in answering your question.

Best regards,

Hi, how are you feeling now? Are you feeling any better? Did you have a chance to go through my above answer? Did you visit ER? Do you have any further questions for me?

Best Regards,