Dr. A.S. Desai
Dr. A.S. Desai, Ophthalmologist
Experience:  MS Ophthalmology with 13 years of surgical expereince
25407765

I am a 68 year old male. I am insulin dependent. My

Customer Question

I am a 68 year old male. I am insulin dependent. My ophthalmologist says I am far sighted and need laser peripheral iridotomy before he can dilate my eyes to check for glacoma, cataracts, and retina. Is it likely that another ophthalmologist would not require laser peripheral iridotomy to check my eyes?
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. A.S. Desai replied 9 months ago.

Your present ophthalmologist is right in suggesting you to undergo a laser peripheral iridotomy (Laser PI) considering that you are far sighted. Individuals who are far sighted have shorter length of eye ball and small intraocular structures as compared with normal emmetropic ( no refractive error) individuals. Hence they have a narrow angle with a risk of angle closure glaucoma. Dilating the pupil can lead to an acute episode of angle closure glaucoma. To prevent such an episode it is always better to do a laser PI prior to dilating the pupil. It is a safe office procedure and is not painful.

I hope this helps. Do let me know if there is anything else that I can answer for you.

Thanks and best wishes