Dr. Bob
Dr. Bob, Medical Doctor
Experience:  20 Years in Internal Medicine, Neurology and Sports Medicine

I am concerned as I am seeing a round flashing spot in my

Customer Question

I am concerned as I am seeing a round flashing spot in my left eye and it floats by from time to time, what is it?
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Bob replied 5 months ago.
How long have you had this? How is your overall health?
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I have noticed it off and on for about a few days now. but it is gone at this moment after I took an Advil. May have been a stress related migrain as I am under alot of stress lately. My overall health is very good. I am not overweight and blood pressure is normal. I am 65 years old and not on any meds of any kind. However, I have a few floaters in both eyes which I have had for about 3 years.
Expert:  Dr. Bob replied 5 months ago.
This could be an ocular migraine. They are due to vasospasms in the retina and there does not need to be an actual headache.
Expert:  Dr. Bob replied 5 months ago.
Typically vision returns to normal within a few minutes to hours.
Expert:  Dr. Bob replied 5 months ago.
Treatment depends on identifying the trigger or triggers. Common ones include stress, sleep deprivation, skipped meals, and food sensitivities. Medicines used to treat retinal migraines include anti-inflammatories and medicines that reduce high blood pressure. If you have not seen an eye doctor in the past few months, you should consider seeing one as this is a new symptom for you and your vision is too important to take any risks. A complete eye exam can rule out other unusual causes such as a retinal blood clot, small stroke, pituitary tumor, or detached retina.