Dr. Bob
Dr. Bob, Medical Doctor
Experience:  20 Years in Internal Medicine, Neurology and Sports Medicine
61817858

I am concerned as I am seeing a round flashing spot in my

Customer Question

I am concerned as I am seeing a round flashing spot in my left eye and it floats by from time to time, what is it?
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Bob replied 11 months ago.
How long have you had this? How is your overall health?
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I have noticed it off and on for about a few days now. but it is gone at this moment after I took an Advil. May have been a stress related migrain as I am under alot of stress lately. My overall health is very good. I am not overweight and blood pressure is normal. I am 65 years old and not on any meds of any kind. However, I have a few floaters in both eyes which I have had for about 3 years.
Expert:  Dr. Bob replied 11 months ago.
This could be an ocular migraine. They are due to vasospasms in the retina and there does not need to be an actual headache.
Expert:  Dr. Bob replied 11 months ago.
Typically vision returns to normal within a few minutes to hours.
Expert:  Dr. Bob replied 11 months ago.
Treatment depends on identifying the trigger or triggers. Common ones include stress, sleep deprivation, skipped meals, and food sensitivities. Medicines used to treat retinal migraines include anti-inflammatories and medicines that reduce high blood pressure. If you have not seen an eye doctor in the past few months, you should consider seeing one as this is a new symptom for you and your vision is too important to take any risks. A complete eye exam can rule out other unusual causes such as a retinal blood clot, small stroke, pituitary tumor, or detached retina.