Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.

My daughter has a fever and says her ear feels clogged JA:

Customer Question

My daughter has a fever and says her ear feels clogged
JA: OK. The Doctor will need to help you with this. Please give me a bit more information, so the Doctor can help you best.
Customer: She says she can hear but not nirhslly
JA: Is there anything else the Doctor should be aware of?
Customer: Normally
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Doctor about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 5 months ago.
Hello from JustAnswer.This is Dr. Love and I will be glad to assist you today.How old is your daughter?How high is the fever?Since you do not mention any ear pain, I assume that she has the clogged sensation without pain, correct?
I had asked for some further information and have not heard back. Fever and a clogged ear is most worrisome for a middle ear infection, also called otitis media. Otitis media can frequently occur superimposed on an upper respiratory viral infection, so the fever can occur from the otitis or the upper respiratory tract infection. Although the traditional approach is to treat otitis media infections with antibiotics, there is increasing evidence that most children with otitis media will improve relatively quickly without antibiotics. It is still recommended to treat severe cases of otitis media with antibiotic, but milder cases can be treated with medicines to ease symptoms and then consider antibiotics if the symptoms are not improving relatively quickly, i.e., within 2-3 days. I ask about the fever and pain, because these are the primary determinants of a severe infection. Severe pain or a fever greater than 102.2 would be considered signs of a severe infection. We also tend to treat infections more aggressively in younger children. It is still recommended to treat all children younger than 6 months of age immediately, but since she is telling you about her hearing, he is clearly older than 6 months of age. So, she is old enough to consider symptomatic relief for a mild to moderate infection, but doctors may wait longer with adolescents than with younger children. So, if she has a high fever or develops severe pain, it would be appropriate to be seen quickly for consideration of antibiotics. However, if the fever is lower than 102.2 and is not associated with severe pain, it would be fine to use interventions for relief of symptoms. Acetaminophen can be used for discomfort. In older children and adolescents, antihistamine/decongestant medicines may help, although the response is quite variable. It also would be reasonable to drink plenty of fluids to thin mucus. If I can provide any additional information, please let me know.